Initials {33} END

“Look at that,” Sam said, handing me the newspaper. I took it from her and read the article. I sighed sadly and set the paper down, shaking my head.

                “Poor Davey,” I said. He was in jail for beating someone and robbing them. He had been in and out of jail for years. Davey had 3 kids, each one with a different girl. His oldest, a son named Nicholas, had been born when Davey was 17. Davey had dropped out of high school at age 18. His daughter, Lindsey, had been born when he was 19. His other daughter, Rachel, was born when Davey was 23.

                Davey wasn’t really involved in the lives of any of his kids. His father had passed away in prison when Davey was 22. His mom had gone back to jail 2 weeks later. I didn’t really keep in touch with Davey anymore. I had my own family now.

                “Daddy!”

                A smile lit my face as my son JoJo flung himself into my arms. JoJo was 4 years old. Sam smiled at us sadly. “How could Davey just abandon 3 kids like that?” she asked with a sad sigh. “He’s David Caroli. That’s how.”

                I kissed JoJo’s forehead and smiled at him lovingly.

                Sam and I were 30 years old now and happily married. Her family hadn’t been happy about us being together after finding me with my shirt off making out with her, but they came to accept me in time.

                My dad had beaten me shitless that night. He had continued to beat me until I had gone to college. When I moved out, I never called him again. I never let him meet JoJo. He didn’t deserve to. He was a sick man. He still had his company and he was still rich.

                I had never laid a harmful hand on JoJo. I had made a promise the day we found out that Sam was pregnant that I would never harm JoJo.

                Joseph Gregory O’Dell.

                Sam and I were careful not to give him bad initials. JoJo and Sam were everything to me. They were my life.

                Sam sat on my lap with JoJo and he giggled. “Don’t you just love kids?” she asked, laughing as JoJo snuggled up to me and closed his eyes sleepily. I laughed and rubbed his back. “Of course.” She smiled wider. “Well, I’m glad you love one. Then a second should be no trouble, right?”

                My eyes widened and I looked up at her.

                “Really?” I whispered. She grabbed my hand and let it rest on her stomach. I could feel the slight bump. She lovingly kissed my lips. “I love you so much Eli Mason O’Dell.” I smiled softly.

                My life was truly perfect.