Initials {8}

Eli looked tired and worn out as he punched at Brad. Brad threw him to the ground and jumped on him, hitting him hard. Davey jumped in and roughly shoved Brad off. The two threw punches like you wouldn’t believe.

Security guards came and broke the two up. Eli had managed to get up and was sitting on a bench against the wall, rubbing his chest.

Quinn was watching him as well. “Does he usually get beat like that?” I asked. She shrugged. “Sometimes, he can’t be beat. And other times a breeze could break every bone in his body. Rumor has it that he’s anorexic and that’s why he’s so small and starting to lose fights.”

He didn’t look too good. He was pale and looked like he hadn’t eaten in days. Maybe Eli was anorexic? Ugh. I had to eat. I didn’t understand anorexic people.

The bell rang and Quinn walked with me to gym. We only had gym every other day. Quinn and I got changed and walked to the weight room together.

Eli was sitting in the corner with his head leaned back against the wall and his eyes closed. Coach walked in and noticed him. “Walk up O’Dell!” he said and poked Eli with his foot.

Eli grumbled out a string of cuss words as he stood up. “Now, your workout for the day is on the board. Get started.”

Quinn and I walked over to the weights and began to lift. “Weak!” Eli teased as he walked over. I could see Quinn biting back a mean reply. “Let’s see you do better!” I challenged. He laughed and went on over to the treadmill. “I’m more of a runner,” he joked.

He set the pace and began to sprint. Quinn and I watched. I was kind of impressed. He was running pretty hard. We jokingly cheered him on.

Until he collapsed.

“Eli!” we cried and ran to him. His knees had given out and the speed of the treadmill had thrown him to the ground. He was clutching his head and moaned.

Coach ran over to us. “What happened?!” he asked in worry. “His knees just gave out,” Quinn said in a rush. Eli slowly sat up and put his head in between his knees as he breathed.

Coach looked around and his eyes landed on me. “You! Take him to the nurse!” I blinked but then gently helped Eli up.

We walked out of gym class slowly. “What happened?” I asked him quietly. He was leaning heavily on me for support. Wow he was light!

“I just…got light headed,” he said. “I don’t want to go to the nurse. Just let me sit. I’ll be fine,” he said. But I forced him down towards the nurse. “You’re not alright!” I said. He groaned. “Come on Sam!”

But I wasn’t going to back down. I don’t know why, but when I was with Eli, I didn’t feel so shy. I dragged him into the nurse’s office. “Mr. O’Dell what’s wrong with you now?” she asked, peeking at him over her glasses.

“He, um, he got light headed and collapsed in gym on the treadmill,” I said, shy act back. She sprung up and took him from me. “You can just sit down dear,” she said to me and nodded at a chair.

She sat Eli down on a chair and took his temperature. “When was the last time you ate?” she asked him suspiciously. “Last night,” he said. She continued with her suspicious stare. “Mr. O’Dell, I think you’re lying. I’ll be calling your home to alert that you are neglecting to eat.” “I ate last night I swear!” he cried in anger.

The nurse pointed at the door. “Goodbye Mr. O’Dell. Unless you want to lie down for a little?” He glared. “You bitch,” he spat and stormed out of the room. She sighed and shook her head. “Hard to believe I still have a soft spot for that boy,” she said with a small smile at me.

I hurried out of the room after Eli. “That was mean,” I said and let my hair hide my face from him. “Whatever,” he grumbled.

The bell rang and we parted ways until we met back up for geometry at the end of the day. I had the same schedule as Quinn so I sat next to her. The teacher went around checking homework and sighed at Eli, who sat in front of me. “Again without homework, Eli? That settles it.” She looked around the room and her eyes landed on me.

“Ms. Donovan can tutor you.”

Wait…what?!