Initials {18}

I paced my room. Eli had kissed me! Me! Eli O’Dell had kissed ME! What did that mean? Was I just another toy to him? I was so confused.

My phone buzzed and I quickly answered. “Hello?” “Sam? How did things with Eli go?” It was Quinn. I gulped. “He, uh, kissed me.” It was quiet for a minute. “WHAT?!”I flinched. “Yea. He walked me to my door and then he kissed me.”

“And what did you do?” I paused. What did I do? “I just…I just let him. I didn’t kiss back but I didn’t pull away.” I groaned. “I don’t know!”

She sighed. “Well, I guess we’ll see what happens tomorrow.” I nodded and then remembered I was on the phone. “Yea,” I said with a frown. We talked a little more before hanging up. My mind was racing around, trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

Did I like Eli?

***Eli’s POV***

Dad and I sat at the dinner table together. I slowly lifted the food into my mouth. “What’s wrong? You don’t like it?” he asked, cocking his head to the side. “No, I like it sir,” I said quickly. “Well what’s wrong?” he asked.

My uncle walked into the room and sat down with us. He was my mom’s brother and one of my dad’s close friends. I shrugged at dad. “Nothing. Just tired.” Uncle Karl smiled at me. “Got a girlfriend Eli?” he asked, waggling his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes but then stopped. Did I? Sam hadn’t stopped me but she hadn’t kissed back either. Bah. This is why I didn’t like relationships. One night stands were so much easier.

“I don’t think so,” I said and he laughed. “You don’t think so?” I shook my head. “Nope.” “Aw, a good looking kid like you? Single? I don’t believe it.” He smiled at me and I laughed. “Maybe he just has a bit of a rotten personality,” dad said jokingly.

Karl laughed. “I doubt it! You’re like your mom. Way too good of a person!” I smiled softly. I liked it when people told me I was like my mom. My mom had been the greatest person in the world. I was really hoping that Sam hadn’t let me kiss her out of sympathy.

My mom’s death wasn't a secret or anything. A lot of people knew. It had been in the paper. She hadn’t died in a heroic way or anything. I hadn’t been with her. It wasn’t my fault and that’s what made it so frustrating. I couldn’t blame myself. I wanted someone to blame and I didn’t have anyone.

She had been crossing the street and a driver had turned the sharp corner and hit her. Simple as that. She died on the scene. It hadn’t been her fault and it hadn’t even been the driver’s fault. He couldn’t see around the corner.

“He used to look like her too,” dad said with a wink. I glanced down at my hand. There were deep scars on my knuckle. I clenched my fist tightly. “Yea. Just like her,” I said quietly. “You should probably go do your homework now Eli,” dad said with a pleasant smile. I nodded and got up.

Karl smiled as I left the room. He didn’t know dad hit me. Mom hadn’t known either. If she had, she would’ve stopped it. She had loved me.

The next day at school, I walked up to Davey and grinned. “What?” he asked in annoyance. I chuckled. “Guess who I got to kiss last night.”

He punched me in the face and tackled me to the ground. “You fucker!” he growled. He stood up and kicked me hard in the stomach before yanking me to my feet. I coughed and then laughed. “It was great, just so you know,” I said with a wink before casually walking away from him.

Davey caught up to me. “When did you do it?” “I took her out to eat and hung out with her for a little before bringing her to her house. I just kissed her.” I shrugged. He suddenly began to laugh. I glanced at him curiously. Davey didn’t just laugh about anything. “What?” I asked. He raised an eyebrow. “Looks like you’re not the only one who got a little lip action with her.” He nodded and I turned and felt my eyes widening.

Brad was kissing Sam!