Initials {14}

Light hurt my eyes and I heard dad coming downstairs. He knelt down in front of me. “Time for school. How did you sleep?” “Good, sir.”

He took the handcuffs off my wrist and pulled me roughly to my feet. I winced when the pain hit my ankle. He ruffled my hair and pointed. “Go on to the stairs. I’ll help you up in a minute.” He smiled and I limped pathetically. He had Davey’s crutches in his hands.

I felt a sharp pain in my back and I gasped and fell to the ground as he continued to beat me with the crutches violently. “You little shit!” he roared.

I covered my head and shook as he continued to hit me. I whimpered a few times until he finally stopped.

He grabbed me by my hair and forced me to stand. “Go,” he growled. I hurried up the stairs and into my room. I threw on clothes and grabbed my bag. I limped out and he whipped the crutches at me.

Dad had made me sleep in the basement over the weekend. “You can eat. Make sure everyone sees you eating. Especially that nurse.” I nodded. “Yes sir.” I limped out and waited for the bus.

When I got to school, I went over to Davey. My back and ass were killing me from where he had hit me. Davey took my bag from me and slung it over his shoulder as we walked.

“Get your girl yet?” he asked. I rolled my eyes. “Obviously not. But I have a plan.” “I’m not a fucking mind reader.” I grinned. “You’ll see in lunch.”

I eagerly hurried to lunch when it was time.

My eyes locked on Brad and I smirked.

***Sam’s POV***

I sat giggling with Quinn. “So it was fun on Friday?” she asked eagerly. I nodded. “Yea! I mean, he got in a fight with Eli O’Dell, but other than that, it was great!”

“FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!”

We went out to the hall to see who was fighting now. Quinn had assured me that fights always started during lunch.

Eli and Brad again!

Davey was watching in boredom as Brad brutally beat Eli. He was punching at Eli’s chest. Eli couldn’t get up because of his ankle.

“Brad stop!” I begged, running over to them. Eli was trying to block Brad. “You fucking fag!” Brad boomed, smashing Eli’s head against the ground. Eli was dazed for a second. Brad took the opportunity to get a cheap shot in Eli’s face.

Davey stood up at last. He eyed me for a second before tackling Brad roughly off of Eli. I ran over to him and helped him slowly sit up.

“Are you alright Eli?” I asked gently. He looked at me and groaned. “My fucking face!” “Looks the same as usual,” Davey said as he came over. “Fucked up.”

“Thanks Davey,” Eli muttered, rolling his eyes as I helped him up. He staggered a little and I let him lean on me. He was awfully light.

“Can you help me to next period?” he asked. I nodded. “Of course!” I blushed a little as the bell rang. “I’ll catch up,” I assured Quinn. She bit her lip but went off as I helped Eli limp.

He coughed and staggered. I set him down against the wall. “Do you need to go to the nurse?” I asked in concern. “No,” he said quickly. He rubbed his chest. “He just got me in my chest. That’s all.”

I sighed and helped him into next period. “Thanks,” he said with a wink. I blushed and let my hair hide my face. “Samantha?” the study hall teacher asked, coming over to me. We had study hall on days we didn’t have gym. “Yes?” I asked nervously. “Can you please go to the main office and make 20 copies of this?” they asked, handing me the paper. I nodded and walked off to the main office.

Setting the paper in the copying machine, I pressed for 20 and waited as it started. “Those no good trouble makers!” a teacher said as he walked in. “Who?” the secretary asked curiously.

“David Caroli, Eli O’Dell, and Bradley Davis!” He sat down and rubbed his temples. “That O’Dell boy always starts fights and Caroli finishes them up. Somehow, Bradley ends up in them.”

I listened carefully now.

“Well, I think it’s those boys’ parents,” the secretary said with a nod. The copy machine was working slow, much to my luck. “What do you mean?” the teacher asked curiously.

“Caroli’s father…that’s the one that went to jail on account of two murders!” My eyes widened a little. “The mother was in jail for beating someone. Davis’s mother spoils him and his father is just a terrible man. Absolutely no manners. A total punk. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in that case. And O’Dell…” I listened really hard. “His father owns that company. Good man, he is. Truly a great role model. I have no idea where he could've went wrong with his son.” “What about the mother?” the teacher asked. The secretary thought for a moment. “You know, I’m not quite sure about his mother! Never heard a thing about her. Never seen her before.”

Hm. I hadn’t seen Eli’s mom either. Sure, I had only been there once. But still. I was curious now. Was that why Eli was the way he was? Something that had happened with his mom?

I couldn’t imagine why Eli would be so nasty with a dad as nice as his.

A plan began to form in my head and I grabbed the copies as the teacher and secretary began to talk about other things. I hurried out of the room pleased with myself.

I was going to figure Eli O’Dell out.