Chapter 9

Adam spent the rest of the day outside working on a junk car with Bobby, who was quiet throughout the whole thing.

Adam had often wondered if Bobby didn’t like him, he saw him with Sam and Dean, he saw the look in his eyes whenever one of the boys got hurt. The affection he showed for them, the love he showed without words. Bobby was the father for Sam and Dean. Adam wished he had that for him, he often wished for Bobby to accept him as one of the boys.

Bobby silently studies Adam from the side of his eye, he knew Adam kept looking at him and he didn’t know why. He had come out here to help him work on a car that Bobby has been working on. Adam was as good as Dean when it came to cars; Sam was more of a bookworm, the intellectual kind.

‘’You think this water pump still good?’’ Adam questions looking at the car part on his hands.

Bobby walks the short steps to close the distance and takes the part to study it himself, ‘’yeah it’s still good.’’ Bobby grumbles with his rough voice.

‘’Ok, I’ll put it on the car.’’ Adam offers and takes it from Bobby, getting to work right away.

‘’Adam, are you ok?’’ Bobby sighs as he asks the young man.

Adam tense at the question, he didn’t know how to put into words what he was feeling. He was afraid of rejection and Bobby for sure would.

‘’I’m good, I mean me, Sam and Dean are going to try and work it out, maybe try and get to know each other so that we can at least get along.’’ Adam decides that was a safe explanation.

‘’Yeah, Dean did told me about that, what I’m trying to ask is, I guess if you’re ok with all this supernatural stuff, it can’t be easy getting kidnapped by a demon and being torture just because of who you’re related to.’’ Bobby explains looking at Adam.

‘’It’s alright, I mean a creature attacked my mother so I wasn’t that in the dark, I do wished John would’ve told me more about all this.’’ Adam grimaced as he mentions his mom and father.

‘’Well son, at least you had your mom, Sam and Dean might look like they had their dad, but he was never really around, the boys were always cooped up in hotel rooms while your dad went hunting.’’ Bobby said Adam’s heart flutter a little when Bobby called him son.

‘’Yeah, but they had you.’’ Adam murmurs while looking down at his hands.

Bobby, furrows his eyebrows when Adam said that, he wasn’t sure why but he thought Adam sounded sad.

‘’Is there something I need to know kid?’’ Being always the direct jackass he has always been Bobby questions Adam.

‘’I didn’t mean anything bad, it’s just that,’’ Adam paused to find the right words to say what he thought without sounding petty. ‘’You’re always there for Dean and Sam, you’re more their father than just a friend.’’ Adam sighs, good job at not sounding petty, idiot. Adam thought blushing when he saw Bobby gaping at him. ‘’Well someone had to, and I’ve seen those boys grow up, I taught Dean how to throw a ball, how to work on cars when we had the time, I helped Sam grieve when he need it to, I help him understand why he was different then Dean and his father, so yeah I guess you could say I was and still am like a father to them.’’ Bobby saw a flash of hope in Adam’s eyes right before he replaced it with a different look, the one that said, he was tough and he didn’t need anyone around him.