Betrayal

I didn't stop driving until I knew I was safe and in a public area. Pulling into a Mall parking lot. I pull out the keys and sit back, as I feel the burning in my eyes. I close them trying not to let them fall. 

I glance over at a restraint across the street. "Logan's" it advertised, shaking my head at the dry humor I did notice the hunger rising in me.  "So are you going to tell what that was back there or..." I lift my head up and look over at Tanner. I didn't even know what to say to him, shaking my head I jump out of the Jeep and start over to the building, with smells of burgers, and grilling coming from inside.

"Sarah!" He yells as I hear him scramble to catch up with me. "Get back in the car."

"Stay away from me!" I yell as the first tear rolls down my cheek.

"Get back in the car, Sarah!"

"How could you!" I exclaim turning around to look at him. "My brother died, because of him. I almost died, you knew that, and yet your the one who saved me."

"Look I had to do it, okay, I had to."

"Why?" I ask as he comes towards me, I slowly backed away knowing that I couldn't trust him.

"He threatened my mom, Sarah. Okay? He said that if I didn't let him have you, he would kill my mom." I can't say anything as a sob escapes my throat.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask after a minute, as I wipe my face. "I could've called my dad and he could've had your mom put under special protection."

"Sarah." He came up to me and wipes at my face getting the spots that I missed. "Let's go inside and eat, okay, and then I'll tell you anything you want to know." Walking past me Tanner opens the door and looks back to me, "you coming?" He asks as I sigh, shaking my head, and walk towards the door.

~*~

As I sat down in the booth across from Tanner our waiter stood there next to us waiting. "Can I get you guys something to drink?"

"Just a water, please." Looking over at Tanner he asked for the same and the waiter left us alone.

He leaned over the table and looked at me, I could barely look into his eyes. "I'm going to have to tell my dad, you know that right," I said looking up.

"I know."

"And he's going to send someone to watch over your mom."

"I know."

"Is that all you have to say to me?"

"Look Sarah, what do you want to know?"

"Everything. I want to know everything."

After that our waiter came back and gave us our drinks setting them down in front of us he then took our order, when he walked away I looked to Tanner.

"It started after I took you out for dinner. I got you back to the hotel and I ran into him in the hallway. He told me that if I didn't help him get to you that he would kill my mother."

We both sat in silence, then I looked into his eyes and asked him, "why didn't you just tell me?"

"He said if I said anything he would kill everyone that you loved, while you watched, and then he would kill me while you watched." I looked away not being able to hear it. "Sarah, I'm sorry-"

"No! I trusted you, and you betrayed me."

"Sarah."

"No, every time someone starts with Sarah I get some kind of lecture I'm done with everyone trying to tell me how I should live my life. I'm happy Tanner, I'm happy with my life so stop telling how I should live it." At that I got up out of the booth and went to the bathroom to cool off.