Dinner For Two

When I got out of the bathroom I found Tanner watching TV when I went over and sat by him he didn't say anything. We sat there watching Tom and Jerry for two hours before he pulled me up and dragged me to the door.

"Tanner my crutches," I said as he stopped and turned around going back inside. He came back out and handed me the crutches. "Where are we going?" I asked as he pulled the door shut and we started for the elevator.

"It's a surprise," he said not looking over at me.

"Fun fact about me, I don't like surprises." He turned and looked at me as he pushed the button to go down.

"What do you mean you don't like surprises? You throw surprises for me all the time."

"That's because I know what the surprise is," I said as we stepped into the elevator.

"That makes no sense," he exclaimed.

"Tanner please don't argue with me on this. It makes complete sense."

"Fine I won't argue, I'll just state that not liking surprises makes no sense."

Sighing I turned to the door as it opened and we both stepped out walking to the Jeep. Tanner rushed forward, ahead of me I furrowed my brows until I saw him opening the passenger side door for me. I was confused, but just decided to ignore it and I hopped up into the seat.

"So where are we going?" I asked as Tanner drove through the night. He had taken us away from the town and now we were driving through the country side.

"My grandpa had a place out here. When he passed he left it to me."

"I'm so sorry."

"It was a long time ago."

"Still, when you lose someone it stays with you, always reminding you how easy it is to get hurt." He turned to me and I saw a ghost of a smile playing on his lips.

"Thanks." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it, I squeezed back letting him know that I was here for him.

We drove for about another ten minutes before we turned on a dirt road. "Are you sure your not taking me somewhere to kill me?" I asked looking out the window. I heard him chuckle, which made me look at him.

"I'm not going to kill you," he said as we came to a clearing I saw a cabin a boat house, and a lake in the back as we stopped pulling into the drive. As Tanner got out I went to open my door but he locked the jeep.

"What are doing?" I asked as he came around to my door, he held up the keys and hit the button. I heard the doors unlock and watched as he opened it, holding his hand out I watched him, "what are you up to?"

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

"No," I stated reminding him of what happened the last time I blindly trusted him.

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm sorry?"

"I don't want to hear "I'm sorry" Tanner. I just want you to show me, that you know what you did wrong."

"I know I screwed up Sarah, okay, and I'm trying to fix it!" He yelled, I took a deep breath as I felt a lump form in my throat, but I pushed it down. He looked ashen as he took a step back, he brought a hand up covering his face as he looked up at me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I just, I really want this to work."

I jumped down out of the jeep and grabbed my crutches, watching him as I put them under my arms. I pushed passed him and started for the cabin.

"Sarah, wait!" Tanner ran and slid in front of me holding onto my shoulders.