The License plate game

The next day was very uneventful seeing as we were stuck in traffic for the past hour. Some time that morning we switched seats so now Tanner was driving we were just passing through Williamstown when the morning traffic hit, though there was a pile up so now we were stuck here for another hour or two. I sighed and looked over at him as he had his head leaning on his hand looking out onto the road. My phone rang so I pulled it out and answered it without looking at it.

"Hello?" I said as Tanner glanced over at me.

"Yeah hi, is Tanner there?"

"Um..who is this?"

"Its Spencer, can I talk to Tanner?"

"How did you get my number?"

"I met your cute little friend at our game the other day, and got her number. I talked to her and she seemed upset so she told me that you, her best friend ran away with some guy named Tanner, and I thought what are the odds so I asked her for your number and she gave it to me happily. Now may I speak to Tanner please?"

I sighed pulling the phone away from my ear. "It's for you." I said as he reached for the phone.

"Who is it?" He asked confused, I just leaned my head against the window as he put the phone up to his ear. "Hello?" I heard him say, "what the hell did you do? I- I don't care what coach said where the hell are you guys? That's only a state ahead, we're half way through Vermont. Yeah. Yeah. Don't say that, dude stop being a dick, you know what I don't have time to listen to you being rude." He hung up before I could say anything.

"So what's up?" I asked as I took my phone back.

"Nothing's up."

"Okay well what did he say?"

"He didn't say anything!" He said yelling at me, I jumped and looked away as my eyes stung with unshed tears. I heard sighing as I felt him pick up my hand "I'm sorry. Okay it's just he started talking about you, and I didn't like it." I turned to him and gave a small smile.

"Its okay."

We sat there like that for the next twenty minutes as he rubbed circles on the back of my hand I thought back to a time when me and my brother got into a fight.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
Flashback

I just got home from volleyball practice pushing the loose hairs that fell out of my ponytail back I tossed my keys on the table and dropped my bag onto the floor. My parents were both at work as Jack didn't have practice today seeing as they won all of their games this pass week so the coach gave them the day off.

"Jack I'm home!" I yelled walking into the kitchen I went over to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, turning around to lean up against the counter I heard a door slamming and loud foot steps pounding down the hallway.

As I took a drink Jack stormed into the room, "are you kidding me!?" He yelled as his voice dropped an octave.

"What are you on about?" I said as I capped the top of my water, and set it on the counter next to me as I grabbed an Apple out of the basket sitting on the table in front of me. I went to walk passed him when he stepped in front of me blocking my exit.

"Come on move," I said as I put the Apple up to my mouth about to bite into it, until he knocked it out of my hands I looked up at him as it rolled across the floor. "What the hell is your problem!?" I yelled walking over to the Apple picking it up I went over to the sink and washed it off then put it back into the basket no longer hungry. I turned back to Jack who seemed to be fuming.