Chapter Twelve

VIC

I had to get out of the house before Kate told Mike that I was meeting her for lunch. I was a concerned friend looking out for her after what my brother put her through, also it made me look good to comfort her. Did I feel bad for what I did? Of course, I did after I saw the state Mike came home in, I knew him and Alysha had a past and she liked him drunk because it meant he would do anything for her. Plus Kate didn't need to see that, I wanted the date to be awkward so that they'd stay friends at best.

Kate was already sat at the table in the small cafe I'd chosen, she sees me approach the table and gets up smiling but not before putting her phone down "hi Kate."

"Hi Vic, thanks for suggesting this."

She hugs me before pulling back and we both sit down. I tap the table as she begins to scan the menu, I already knew what I wanted because I came here quite often with the guys and Danielle on occasion.

"Do you have something you want to confess Vic?"

Kate speaks but doesn't look up from her menu. I look at the girl in confusion, what could I possibly have to confess to her?

"Can you give me a hint?"

She laughs, "did you know Mike's ex worked at the restaurant because that's what Mike told me before you arrived?"

All the colour drains from my face, an instant giveaway that I was guilty of the crime she accused me of. Mike most likely told her when she told him we were meeting up for lunch. I had to play this cool.

KATE

Vic's face was a dead giveaway, so Mike hadn't lied about this. Had Vic deliberately sabotaged my date with his brother? But why would he do something like that? Vic was a nice guy who only saw me as a friend, or did he like me the same way Mike liked me? since when was I this desirable to two people? Let alone two brothers.

Vic hangs his head and sighs, "I knew she worked there because I'd been a couple of times with my ex. Alysha and Mike hadn't seen each other in a long time and I just thought it would be a nice catch-up, I never intended him to get drunk and ignore you, Kate. I'm sorry."

Vic sounded like he was upset at himself, he should be but he never told Mike to do what he did that was all on Mike. I tap my nails on the table thinking back to all the times Alysha outright flirted with Mike in front of me and despite my own drink comment, she kept bringing them out.

"I didn't want to be a buzzkill and said he could have one drink, but she kept serving him something I didn't know the name of."

Vic's eyes widen "Alysha is good at mixing drinks, she can make you a drink that tastes like it doesn't have any alcohol in when in actual fact its full of alcohol."

If what Vic was saying was true then Alysha could have been getting Mike purposely drunk, and here I was thinking he was knocking them back because he was some sort of alcoholic. Almost as if Vic had said something he regretted he quickly closed his mouth, did he not want me to know that?

"Can I take your order?"

I was thankful for the waiters distraction. Vic ordered his usual order while I went for a glass of water and a BLT sandwich and a side order of fries. I had to know something else about Mike and Alysha.

"Vic, do I have anything to worry about now she's back in the frame?"

Vic shakes his head, "not if Mike stays loyal to you. But he and Alysha always had this spark whenever they were together, so just keep an eye on him, Kate. But enough negatives, let's get onto a more positive subject."