Chapter 25

Beep beepbeepbeep! Beep beepbeepbeep!

The next morning, my alarm clock rings in its annoying attempts to wake me. I roll around, slamming my hand on the snooze button.

I roll back on my side, pull my blanket up to me chin, and stare outside the window. I'd fake sick, if it wouldn't just delay the inevitable. The big mess of gossip would just be waiting for me at school tomorrow.

My mind is filled with worry and my stomach is tied with knots because I have too many problems to even begin to separate and solve.

My best friend isn't speaking to me. My best friend might even laugh at the word, as she seems to consider our relationship a complete lie now.

The intimidating queen of the senior class called me out keeping Sangmoon a secret, and instinct tells me she's aware there's something just under the surface going on between me and the boyfriend.

The knots in my stomach relax, just for a second, to release a wave of sadness.

Her boyfriend. I mean, he's still her boyfriend, regardless of what he confessed at the park. I have no idea where he fits in all this, whose side he'll ultimately end up on. Considering the way I left the scene, what reason does he have to end up on mine?

And I'm officially "Sangmoon's sister" again. The news is out, and there's no hope of containment. I'm no longer just me. Going forward, at school, I will always be viewed in relation to him and his behavior, and all anyone seems to know Sangmoon is shoes-throwing and stripping. Great.

The sixty-day timeline to find a new placement expires in weeks and my mom sounded optimistic about his acceptance at one or both of the other schools. But what's done is done, and I'm sure I'll always be associated with some weirdness now. I don't really see any way to undo that.

At the rate I'm going, I can pretty much count on Sangmoon having some kind of episode today, just to really top things off.

And somehow, I'm supposed to focus on an A.P. essay test in the middle of all this. I didn't get much studying done last night.

I have some bad luck today, I think as I shove my blanket back and stomp toward the bathroom.

I make it to the main lobby at the last minute. I stalled as much as I could, taking the time to brush my hair, even though the day is already damp and rain is forecasted. I took forever getting dresses, finally decided on white long sleeves and black bottoms. Best to aim for not attracting others. Plus, the colors mirror my emotions.

 Plus, the colors mirror my emotions