Chapter 5

Lilly had come to a town. It was somewhat small and seemed to be made entirely out of bricks. It seemed to have LightBugs on gray poles, which were an upside down J shape. Lilly walked closer cautiously, careful to keep her paw-steps silent.

Lilly smelled a savory scent, though she could not place it. She followed her nose and came to a narrow corridor between two of the humans dens. There was a greenish colored rectangle, which the smell was coming from. Lilly limped over to it on three paws, then jumped on it. Ahh! Lilly felt her body slip off the green rectangle. Lilly's front paws were the first to fall of the rectangle, she fell forward, her nose pointing towards the ground. Lilly yelped in pain as she felt her body hit the hard ground. Lillys vision was blurry and she felt like she was hit yet again by the humans stick. Lillys front paw, which she hurt, looked even worse now. The toes of her paws were pointing in all different directions, and the fur on her lower leg was falling off, revealing dark pink skin underneath. Her claws where broken, no longer the same peach-white color they were.

Lillys vision cleared, and she could see each little detail again. She slowly rose to her three working paws, and looked up at the rectangle. She could now see that one side was open. She carefully climbed up, and took care placing each pawstep. She finally got to the top, and stepped into the rectangle. Her paws sunk into the moist ground, but she didn't mind. She found the source of the scent. A white piece of flesh, attached to a skeleton. Lilly licked, then ate. The food tasted okay, although she felt a little sick after eating it.

Lilly  walked through the town, but near the end of it, her stomach had started to hurt. She ignored it, just thinking she was hungry. Even though she tried to convince herself it was nothing, she couldn't believe herself. Lilly had walked down the stone path a ways, and then she collapsed. Her paws were so weak, her body was so tired, she couldn't even move.

Lilly felt her stomach churn and felt her food come up her throat, and out her mouth. Ugh, what was in that food... Lilly felt somewhat better, but she felt so tired. Lilly rose, excruciatingly slow. She limped a ways away from the stone path, and she lay down by a fir tree. She felt exhaustion cloak over her mind, luring her into a silent slumber.

Ugh, morning already... Lilly rose to her three paws. She was glad to see she was by the fir tree, which was where she fell asleep. If Lilly wasn't feeling sick, she would have found somewhere more secluded, as she had bad memories falling asleep in the open.

Her broken leg looked worse than ever. Underneath her fur the skin was black and crusty. Her fur just hung off in strands, and most had fallen out. Her two remaining claws, the other two had fallen off, were a gray, and were chipping. 

Lilly hauled herself over to the stone path, her tail limp against her rump. Lilly felt sick, and felt warm, even though the season of Bare-Tree was coming. She thought it might of been from that white piece of meat, but Lilly had sneaking suspicions it was her leg. She didn't know how to deal with it though, because the vet would usually heal her.

After a few hours Lilly knew she would have to get rid of that leg somehow. Lilly laid down in the nook of the hill that rose to the stone path, and got comfortable. How will I get rid of this leg? Without it hurting, I mean the vet usually sticks a sharp silver thing in me, but that's no where near here. I don't even know where I am.

Lilly thought of an idea, but it disgusted her. The only way to get rid of this leg is, Lilly gulped, is by chewing it off. Okay, Lilly you can do this, I hope I can at least... Lilly looked nervously at her leg, and took a deep breath. She lifted her leg an inch off the ground. She opened her mouth and placed it around the top of her leg, without touching it. Here goes nothing. Lilly bit down, using all of her strength. Her eyes widened, her face screwed with pain. She bit down harder, agony in her eyes. There was a crack, and then a snap. Her leg was hanging on only by a ligament, she bit down one last time, and her leg fell to the ground with a thump.

Blood splattered onto the grass, and Lillys lips were lined with her dark red blood. She panted, her face still twisted with pain. Lilly dared not to look down at the gore seated below her. Surely she would see her mangled leg. She heaved herself onto her three paws and trotted a few feet ahead of her, leaving her leg behind her. She collapsed onto the ground. She looked at her leg, the flesh was exposed, and her leg was letting out little sprays of blood, but a steady river of blood. Lilly could see her snow white bone, with the precious fatty bone marrow inside.

Lilly started licking her serrated flesh,the blood flowing into her mouth. It didn't taste as good as the squirrel, but it would sustain her hunger for now. Lilly licked at it until the sun was meeting the land, and then she fell asleep, hopefully to awake next morning...