Introduction

The pups wriggled around. There were three of them, one black, one brown, and one yellowish, snuggled up against their mom. The black one barely moved though. The mother nudged the pup, encouraging it to move. It yipped but didn't move at all. The other two pups were suckling from their mother. The mother licked the pup hoping it would move. The mom picked it up by its scruff and set it near her stomach. The pup started to become unresponsive to the mothers constant licks. She looked around the dark room. Staring at the concrete floor she bit her tongue. She knew that the great Sky-Dog was taking him. Tears fell from her eyes hitting the blanket on which she lay. She looked at the black pup as its little chest rose up and down. Slowly its chest started moving up and down slower. The pup let out a little squeak as it died. The mother nudged the unmoving pup. It was dead. It had joined the Sky-Dog and his heavenly pack. She set her head down on her paws. Taking in the sweet smell of newborn pups. She felt the two pups drinking milk on her stomach and she felt as though she was empty inside.

      The door to the room opened, light flooded the room, and a man stood in the door way. He walked in and kneeled down next to the mother. "How'd it go Misty?" Then the man regretted saying those words as he noticed the dead pup. "Oh, I'm so sorry misty!" The man kissed the dogs forehead, "It's okay you still have two healthy pups left. Oh, it's okay... you'll be okay..." The man said soothingly. "You did your best to keep it alive, didn't you?" The dog looked at him, pain in her eyes. "Oh, Misty... I'm sorry. I have to leave now." The man got up and grabbed the dead pup carefully and walked away leaving the dogs in darkness.