Chapter 10

"What do you smell."
"Something musky."
"That's deer, now try to follow the trail, and be quiet."
Lilly stalked forward, Night trailing behind her. Her nose was pressed to the ground, following the musky scent of deer. She tried to stay as quiet as possible, as quiet as Night. He was gliding over the ground, as silent as a fox. Ok the other hand, Lilly was cracking sticks and crunching leaves constantly, and getting a look from Night.
"Sorry." She whispered.
Night just rolled his eyes, they stalked forward, slowly and quietly. Finally, they came upon a herd of deer. There was one buck, and three does.
"Go for that one." Night whispered, pointing his muzzle to a grizzled gray and brown doe. Lilly focused all her mind in being quiet, while Night stood back, watching. Lilly stepped on a leaf, and it crunched. The bucks ears perked up, and the other deer looked around. Lilly paused, fearing they would leave, but they resumed resting, and eating. Lilly continued, getting as close as she dared. She prepared to run at the grizzled doe, but heard a bark. Night! Why the heck did you do that!? Ugh! The deer started running and Lilly started running after them. She strained her legs, managing to stay about a foot or two away from the doe. She pushed harder, her lungs were burning, but she ignored it. In the corner of her vision, she saw Night, he was running along effortlessly, and Lilly was suddenly envious. She focused back on the doe, and jumped, biting its leg. It screeched, and tried to run, all the while kicking its back legs. Lilly felt a hoof hit her shoulder, and she was pushed back, tearing off a chunk of flesh. Thankfully, the deer only kicked the shoulder of Lilly's useless leg. She spat out the chunk, and ran after the doe. She sprinted, running so fast she almost tripped over her own paws. She caught up, and went to the side of the deer, she had a plan. She was panting hard, her breath coming in short quick gasps. Then the black lab appeared, and ran right at the deer, and grabbed its front hoof, tripping it. Oh thank you! Lilly jumped on the now tripped deer, and pinned it on its side, and grabbed its throat. It screamed, but Lilly kept biting. I'm so sorry. Come on Lilly, kill it faster! Lilly bit harder, and blood started dripping out of her mouth, onto the ground. She bit even harder, and the deer stopped struggling. She sat up, and spit out the blood. She panted her tongue hanging out of her maw. Thank you for this food, and thank you deer, for letting me have you as food, you put up quite a fight, and I honor that.
"Good job Lilly! The first time I hunted a deer I failed so badly! Good job." He licked Lilly's cheek.
"Thanks." Lilly looked up to see the black lab, thank you.
The black lab nodded, and started dissolving from her vision, and blew away in the wind.
"Now we have to bring it back to camp."
"Oh, great."
"Cut the attitude." Night said, giving a thoughtful look.

They arrived back at camp, and Lilly spotted Brownie chatting with a wolf that was his color.
"Who's that?"
"That's the beta, how did..."
"Oh, hi guys!" Brownie barked.
"So you're the beta?" Lilly asked.
"Yeah, I saw Brownie and just wanted to talk to him, I was interested in his life." The beta barked.
"Yeah, especially interested in how you killed my mate!" He growled, and a few wolves stared at Lilly.
"Brownie!" Lilly yelped, feeling all the eyes burn into her soul.
She cowered and pushed into Night, trembling. Her tail dropped, and her expression was true terror. 

"Excuse me?" Night looked towards Lilly, his eyes filling with confusion, but, also fear.

"Look, uh, I... he's lying!" Lilly quickly yipped, her gaze falling upon Brownie.

Brownie eyed Lilly, and mouthed 'you know what you did', before turning around and stomping off. Night stared at Lilly a moment longer, before Lilly turned and slid out into the trees.