Part 14

JUSTINE

It was a couple minutes before sunset when we reached Byron Bay.

Leo drove back to the camp with Carlo and Denise leaving me with Pau, Danielle and Luch.

Denise was having a bad time I guess. I wish I can talk to her. Like real talk. I wish she was more open with me. But knowing Denise, hindi siya ganon. She's gonna keep it to herself and she's gonna sulk and she's going to take it out on whoever bugs her.

Unfortunately now, she's taking it on her poor boyfriend Carlo. Carlo isn't that nice but he isn't that bad either. I admire his effort for putting up with Denise.

Denise just so troubled these past months and I don't know why.

Soon we pulled over and stood along the highway of Cape Byron Lighthouse. I am standing next to Luch and Paulo while Danielle is on the far end busy taking selfies.

Paulo went to Danielle to take a picture of her. But by now, alam ko na na Paulo is doing it on purpose. I heard them the last night diba?

Byron bay has this laid back vibe that makes it so relaxing. I stood there in awe as the horizon light up, swirls of pink and orange fading to blue and purple sky.

L:
"Want to hear a story about the sunset?'
J:
"Luch there you go again with your "amazing" stories?"
L:
"The swan story wasn't that bad naman diba?"
J:
"Sure."
L:
"Okay it's not actually a story, just a reason why sunset happens"

I felt her tensed whenever my shoulder grazed hers. I leaned in closer and felt her loosening up. I watch her as she starts her story, noticing those wonderful gray eyes.

L:
"Okay, so there was the sun and the moon right? The sun represents the brightness or day and the moon the darkness or night. The sun was so in love with the moon. ."

I smiled staring at her knowing this must be a joke. But she continued with her story.
I studied her face, the redness from the sun has started to subside giving her a tanned glow.
She constantly bites her lips which made me drool over it.
And her gaze was so intense that I am almost melting with each second.

L:
". . In fact the sun loved the moon so much that he died every night to let her breathe. ."

I wasn't expecting the turn out of the story. At first I thought it was just a joke but having said those powerful words, it moved me. I was left in awe.

L:
"That's how sunset happens. The day disappears like a little rose, drying in a big night"
J:
"Wow that was unexpected"

Luch gave me a reassuring smile.

J:
"I liked it, mas gusto ko na siya kesa sa swan story mo"
L:
"Good to hear"
J:
"Are you like the sun?"
L:
"I knew you'd ask. Uhmm. .let me think about it. Well yes I guess so"

I was trying to make Luch open to me more. Gusto kong malaman yung views nya sa mga bagay bagay.

I know she's smart. Man you have to be smart to keep a lot of stories up on your sleeve.

J:
"How so?"
L:
"Well just like how the sun loved the moon, if letting go of the person you love can give her freedom and live, then I wouldn't mind dying in the process of letting go just to see her happy."

She finished the sentence looking straight into my eyes, those round eyes screaming of emotions.

We were standing so close to each other that I can almost inhale her scent. My heart was beating so fast, it's impossible to keep calm.

She studied me waiting for me to say something but then she spoke again.

L:
"Tin, I. ."

I was scared of what Luch might say. I know this is the perfect moment to tell her that I have strong feelings for her as well.