Brother Mine

"Francisco, I'msorry to show up like this, I really didn't mean to-" Dante beganapologizing as his younger brother re-entered the living room, nowfully dressed in jeans and a t-shirt instead of a plain pair ofboxers.

"Don't worry aboutit Dante," Francisco said, waving his hand dismissively "youdidn't interrupt anything if that's what you're worried about" themovement of his arm made him wince slightly, his eyes flicking acrossthe room to the bottle of vicoden he'd been headed for before hisbrother arrived. He cursed silently, knowing that now he wouldn't beable to take any of the pills, at least not in front of hisapparently clean brother, despite their history Francisco didn't feelright being so cruel to him at the moment.

Dante smiled at himnervously as he sat beside him on the sofa, "No, but I do think Imight have just missed it," Dante admitted with a soft laugh.

Francisco shruggedat him, "Well you're not wrong," he replied blandly, "butyou're not here to talk about my sex life are you Dante, you're hereto talk about your sobriety,"

Dante's smile grewnow, his eyes seeming to light up at the mention of his news, "That'sright brother, I'm clean," he sounded almost like a child, proud ofa drawing he'd done in school.

"Yes," Francisconodded, "you mentioned that before," he leaned back trying to getcomfortable, "so tell me, what exactly prompted this sudden changein lifestyle?" he asked him, "have you come to god or something?"

Dante laughed at hisquestion, "No Cisco, I didn't find religion or anything-"

"Francisco,"Francisco immediately corrected him, clenching his jaw at the soundof his childhood nickname.

Dante's smile fell,"Huh?" he asked in confusion, "you never minded before-"

"I do now,"Francisco said quickly, "I've grown out of that name Dante, so ifyou could use my full name I would appreciate it,"

Dante still seemedconfused, but he nodded slowly "Alright, I'm sorry brother," hesaid earning a grateful nod, "but no, I haven't found god oranything like that, I uh...I actually have you to thank for allthis,"

At this Franciscotensed, "Me?" he asked "what could I have possibly done?"

Dante smiled again,this smile more of a mischievous smirk, "You called me worthless,"he replied, his smirk breaking into a grin as Francisco's frowndeepened.

"Dante,"Francisco forced a strained smile, trying to be civil even withDante's seemingly playful attitude grating on his nerves, "while Iunderstand you think that would stand out as a specific even betweenus, I have in fact called you worthless and much worse on severaloccasions since you started using, so if you could give me a few moredetails-"

Dante laughed now, agenuine laugh that sent his body shaking with the depth of it, "I'msorry Francisco, I forgot how funny you look when you're frustrated,"he apologized as he composed himself "you still make the same faceas when we were kids."