Forgotten Bliss ~ Chapter 18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

 It had been a week since the funeral and life was a bitch. Mrs. Jacobs came around everyday trying to get Ashton to go home with her. I told him the choice was up to him. She was his grandmother after all. He said he wanted to stay in this house for now and I didn't argue with him. Mrs. Jacobs on the other hand viewed it as me planting ideas in Ashton's mind and accused me of kidnapping her grandson.

The situation happening in front of me was exhibit A.

"You can't have him!" Mrs. Jacobs yelled at me. I stared at her with wide eyes. Her face was filled with rage. I was sure that she'd turn blue if she continued going in this direction.

"He's not an object that someone can or can't have." I said. "I have custody over Ashton and he'll be staying with me."

"What right do you have? You were nothing but a piece of trash who ruined my son's life. He was happy without you. Ashton is our grandchild and we'll be taking him." I narrowed my eyes her her.

"The only reason you accepted Ashton was because Tom was with his mother at the time." I took a step towards her and she stepped back, a slight hint of terror in her eyes. Or was it disgust? I didn't think it mattered with this woman. "You can't stand it that Tom chose me. I'd say you got it wrong Mrs. Jacobs, I didn't ruin Tom's life, oh no, you did."

She sputtered out sounds trying to get words out and failed. Finally, she took a deep breath and buttoned up her coat. "My lawyers will be contacting you soon. We will get our grandchild back whether it's the last thing we do. I refuse for his life to be tainted by the likes of you."

She walked out and I had to urge to help her out faster with a kick but I had standards. I reeled in my anger enough to make sure the door wasn't damaged from the slam it just took.

I walked to the living room and sat down on the sofa. "I don't know what to do.'

"I think it's time you come clean, Kev." I turned to look at Ash and raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"What are you talking about?"

"You can fight this. All you have to do is get your own lawyer and bring all the proof you have and you might win."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." My heart started beating faster.

"Your marriage, you idiot!" She stood up. "You love Ashton, don't you?"

"Of course I do."

"And you want him with you, in a familiar environment where all his memories of his dad are?"

"Yes."

"Then fight, Kev. Tell them about how you and Tom were married and have been for months now. About how you signed the adoption papers for Ashton. All they have is the Will to state that Ashton stays with you, now you have more weapons in your arsenal." I stood up too and took a deep breath.

"How-how did you know about the marriage and the adoption? We didn't tell anyone."

"Tom told chad the morning after you eloped. I guess he was so happy he had to share the news. I still hate you for not inviting me or telling me about it, but we can sort that out another time. And the adoption? Well, Chad and I were called to vouch for you." I took a moment to process everything. It made sense. Tom wasn't good at keeping things locked up- except the fact that he was dying- and I should have known that he would've told someone.

"You're right. I should fight." I took a deep breath. "I can't help but feel bad though."

"Why?" She had this puzzled look on her face.