Forgotten Bliss ~ Chapter 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The next two weeks are more or less uneventful. Chad and Ash returned from their honeymoon from some unknown island that Chad found out about it. He was thinking about investing in it and maybe buying it since they enjoyed it so much. I wanted to ask if Tommy wanted to go too since he looked like he needed a break.

He's been acting strange lately-Tommy. I asked him what was wrong but he kept sidestepping me and pretended he didn't know what I was talking about. He had always been so stubborn. I couldn't help but worry.

One morning, we were sitting at the park watching Ashton play soccer with his friends from the neighbourhood. I remember jumping up when he fell the first time. Tommy laughed and told me to calm down. I refused to sit back down until I was sure that Ashton was okay. 'Welcome to the life of a parent' were the words Tommy said to me. I was flustered but soon realised that it was more true than not. I wondered everyday how things would've been if Ashton didn't like me. Would that have affected mine and Tommy's relationship?

"So I'm think that we should go away for a while." Tommy said bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Yea?" I didn't tear my eyes away from the kids.

"Definitely. It'd just be the two of us. Ashton would be fine with my dad." I looked to Tommy.

"Just us? Why?"

Tommy chuckled. "Are you saying that you don't want to go away with me?"

"I do, but this is all so sudden. Your mom's about to be discharged and wouldn't Ashton be a bother?"

"I'm pretty sure they'd be fine." Tommy took a hold of my hand that was next to his on the bench. "They love him and would do anything for him. Let's take a weekend off and just...enjoy each other."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yes." I grinned and Tommy brought my hand up to his lips to kiss it. "So...where are we going?"

"Leave it to me. I've got this all sorted out." There was a glint of mischief in Tommy's eye and I couldn't help feel a shiver go up my spine.

"Have you got everything you need?" Tommy asked me as he took Ashton's bag and toys out to the front.

"Yes. I'm still not so sure about the clothes. You keep saying it's not going to be cold and slacks is always a good idea but what if the weather changes?" I stared down at my case. I had most of my stuff packed but I guess my paranoia was settling in.

"It's one weekend, Kev. I've checked the weather and I've called everyone who needed to be called ahead. We're going to be fine and I helped you pack remember? You're good. Can we go now? Dad's waiting and Ashton was promised s'mores."

"S'mores? In this weather?" I asked. "Ridiculous."

"Kid loves his marshmallows." I zipped up my bag and carried it out to the front. Ashton was watching something on TV and was a bit reluctant to leave but after reminding him about his melted marshmallows, he ran ahead of us out of the house.

After double checking the lights and the alarm, I locked up and met Tommy at the car. Ashton was smiling like someone with a secret the entire car ride and I shook my head. He got his mischievous side from his dad.

We dropped Ashton off and I made it a quick in and out because I had a feeling this was going to be a good weekend and I didn't want Mrs. Jacobs to ruin it.

Tommy came back to the car and strapped on his seatbelt. "Now for some alone Kevin and Tom time."

"We are not calling it that." I said.