Forgotten Bliss ~ Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

Ashley had been frozen still for the past five minutes and I was starting to think that she was getting cold feet which was funny because the ceremony was starting in exactly seven minutes.

"Ashley." I said for the fourth time in a row.

"I'm fine, Kevin. Totally not freaking out. Definitely not." She was taking deep breaths.

"Sounds like something someone who was freaking the would say." I walked over to her and put my hand on her shoulder.

We looked at each other through the mirror. She looked gorgeous. Her dress looked as if it were a part of her. The slight shimmer was enough to make her entire body look as though it were glowing. The blue sash around her waist brought out the perfect amount of colour. She didn't need anything else. She was the embodiment of perfection.

"I'm not freaking out." She gave me a slight smile. "I'm honestly fine. It's just, I've been waiting for this day for years and it's finally here and Chad is amazing."

I raised an eyebrow. "But?"

"No buts. I'm happy. Anything can go wrong today and I wouldn't care." I was about to say something but she cut me off. "I know I've been a bit of a bridezilla about this for months, about how everything should be perfect. But it doesn't matter. There could be a thunderstorm, or the cake could be a total flop, or the sun itself could fall out of the sky and I wouldn't care. As long as I get to marry Chad today, it's already perfect."

I grinned at her and hugged her from behind as gently as I could as to not ruin her hair. Her words made me want to tear up but I forced myself not to. If I were to cry now, she would too and all the effort put in to making Ashley look like a goddess would go to waste.

"You and Chad are soulmates and you give the rest of us hope that love exists and it can be greatest thing to ever experience." I kissed her lightly on her cheek and picked up her veil from the chair next to the mirror. "We have to get going. Chad's going to think you stood him up."

"I waited for nine years, he can wait five minutes." I laughed and helped her put the veil on. It was a simple one that had a comb attachment which she placed in her hair.

We left the room and joined the rest of the bridal party at the doors to the church hall. The bridesmaids wore a similar blue to that of Ashley's sash. They all looked like they popped out of a book.

"We're about to start. Are you ready?" Ashley's aunt said coming through a side door. I looked to Ashley and she nodded. Her aunt passed on the message to the organist and took her place next to Ashley. Since Ash had no parents or older brothers to give her away, she asked her aunt to do it. The organ started playing- Canon in D Major- because it was 'a classic' Ashley had said and it would never not fit the occasion.

The doors opened and Ashley took a deep breath. I took step by step behind Ashley watching and looking at all the people that surrounded us. I had to wonder what this looked like in Ashley's eyes.

At the altar I saw Chad completely lost on the vision that was Ashley. He couldn't tear his eyes away from her. The pastor called for our attention and proceeded to start the ceremony.

"We are gathered here today to join Chad and Ashley in holy matrimony, a long time coming, if the stories I heard are correct." There were a few chuckles around, and I myself had to keep myself from laughing.

"Love, though not an easy road, is a journey none the less and these two people have decided to embark on an even greater journey, that of marriage and commitment. Today, you stand before all these witnesses swearing your love for each other and as I stand before you, it's clear to see that your hearts are pure and this is where fate meant for you to end up." I smiled as the pastor continued talking about love and random stories he had heard about Chad and Ash over the years. He had come over to the family's houses to find out more about the couple and I can see that he really took everything in.

(Change in tense- from past to present...I don't know, it just happened)

"If there is anyone that objects now, speak now or forever hold your peace." A hush falls over the congregants and someone sneezes in the back. I avert my eyes and send a glare in their general direction. The pastor gives it a second more before he turns his attention back on the couple. "Alright then. The rings please."

I pull Ashley's ring for Chad out of my pocket and place it in the palm of Ash's hand.

"Ashley, repeat after me..."

Ash cleared her throat and I saw her take a deep breath before she started. The way she looked at Chad was like her was her entire world. Nothing else mattered. I smiled at the scene in front of me. I didn't think that there were two people more perfect for each other. They deserved this, deserved to be happy.

"I, Ashley Jane Henderson, take you Chad Dominic Jacobs, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, for better or for worse till death do us part." I watch as she slides the ring on his finger.

It's Chad's turn. He brows are slightly furrowed as though he's worried that he'll leave something out. "I, Chad Dominic Jacobs, take you Ashley Jane Henderson, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, for better or for worse till death do us part." Ashley's shoulders sag in relief as soon as the ring is on her finger.

"Then without further ado, I now pronounce this man and woman, husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." Ash and Chad's first kiss as a married couple is less than chaste and I almost laugh at the sight of one of the aunts covering Ashton's eyes.

My gaze finds Tommy's and I can see that he's smiling. He's happy. We all are. He turns to look at me and it's as if his expression becomes happier. I feel myself smiling back. Ash and Chad walk off down the aisle and Tommy holds out his arm for me to take. I roll my eyes and his action but take the offered arm. I ignore the clare his mom is shooting at me.

I'm sitting on a stool near the bar waiting for my drink -that I didn't need to get myself, but I needed the break- when Tommy joins me. "Wow, I think I'm going to sleep for a week after this."

"I hear you there." I scoff. "I'm glad it's over. They look really happy."

Tommy glances to where I'm looking and sees what I see. Ash and Chad are dancing -they're more or less just holding on to each other- and Ash's feet are bare and they've been at it for nearly an hour. They had only separated when Chad's dad cut in, since Ash didn't have a father to share a father/daughter dance with. I sigh and hope that that's how it'll be for them for the rest of their lives. They look so in love, eyes for no one but one another. Ash is now laughing and Chad kisses her, with a matching grin on his face.

"I love you." Tommy says. I turn to look at him.

"I love you too." I smile. "Why the sudden declaration of love?"

"I just feel like I should tell you as much as I can." I get that weird feeling again- the one where I feel like he's hiding something- but I push it down and take his hand in mine.

"I'll be glad to hear it no matter the time of day. Where's Ashton?"

"With my dad."

I look down at the time and see that it's past 9pm already. "I've got to get going. Kaitlyn only gave me off for the wedding...not for the morning after."

"I'll go get Ashton and we'll go together." He turns to go but I stop him.

"No, he's having fun where he is." I gesture to him laughing with Mr. Jacobs "It's the weekend, give him another hour. I'll call you from work tomorrow if I get the time."

I kiss him on the cheek and say goodbye to Ash and Chad before I head on home. I kick my shoes off and hang my suit over the chair in my bedroom before preparing for my shower. I feel like I ran away from Tommy. He probably would have offered to have me stay over and I'm still not ready for that. We aren't kids anymore. Things are different now. I clear my mind of all thoughts as I enter the shower. I come out feeling more tired than before and immediately crawl into bed hoping that sleep catches me quickly.