OUT FOR BLOOD - CHAPTER 2 - Vampire Games

CHAPTER 2:

I am grappling in the gym with Zoey the next morning when Noah enters, "Catalina, I need to talk to you."

"Ugh, Noah, I'm kind of busy right now," I say in between moves. Just then Zoey throws me onto my back. "Fuck Noah! Do you see me interrupting your workouts?"

"Looks like you're done to me," he says smiling.

I knew he would just stand there distracting me until I gave in. "Fine, I'll catch you later Zoey," I say, getting up off the floor.

"Good luck," is all she says with a smirk.

I walk over to Noah and rudely say, "what?"

He looks nervous for a second and then says, "in private." I roll my eyes and follow him to his room. 

After we are inside his room, he shuts the door and motions for me to sit on the bed. He stands in front of me with his arms crossed and just looks down at the floor.

"Well? What are you going to do? Ground me?" I ask him.

"Catalina, this isn't a joke," he says.

"I realize this isn't a joke. I take it all very seriously," I tell him.

"That's the thing, you take it too seriously. More seriously than anyone else. Cat, I've known you for four years, the first two of those you trained like a madwoman and the last two you've done nothing hunt and train some more. It was a miracle we could even make you finish high school," he says.

"Well . . . that is what we do, we kill vampires," I tell him sarcastically.

"That is what we do, but that isn't all we do. We can have a life outside of hunting. When was the last time you saw a movie, went to the beach, went on a date?" He asks me knowing that the answer to the last question was never.

"That's easier said than done," I tell him. "Zoey and Rick are the only ones who really date and that's because they date each other. I don't see the rest of you guys with girlfriends. You all go out to clubs every so often to pick up a girl and you call that dating? Should I do the same thing? Have random one night stands? Would that make you happy?"

"Of course I don't want you to pick up guys in clubs," he says in frustration. He rakes a hand through his hair and says, "I don't know how to say this . . ."

"Say what?" I ask skeptically. I've never seen Noah like this, so unsure of himself. When he found me four years ago, he immediately took charge by picking me up off the floor and taking me here to live with them. He's been watching out for me ever since. He held me when I mourned my family, he started my training and he made sure I kept up my grades in school. Since I graduated a couple months ago, he's gotten even more protective of me.

I watch him pace back and forth across the room, "Noah, what are you trying to say? You know you can say anything to me."

"There are some things that are harder to say that others," he says. Then, as if he's made some sort of decision, he walks over to me and places my face into his hands. I am confused at first until he gently brings his face down to mine and kisses me on the lips. I stiffen in shock. I've never kissed a guy before and he probably knows this. He murmurs "relax" on my lips, so I do. Within seconds, I am kissing him back. It feels nice.

He pulls back and asks me, "Cat, will you go on a date with me?"

It takes me a moment to process what he just asked. I stand up, walk to the door, open it and tell him, "I can't." I shut the door on his hurt face.