chapter three

Adji’s POV

“Dude watch where you are walking.” Atzi walks around me.

          I shouldn’t have slammed the door on her. I need to explain myself.

“atzi, wait up.” I run next to her. “Could you please stop?” Atzi stops. “I just want to apologize for yesterday. I wasn’t being me. I was angry at someone else and I took it out on you. You smell good.” Atzi laughs.

“I was right you are attracted to me. I’ll see you around lover boy.” She slaps my chest.

          What did I just do? I’m so stupid. I shouldn’t have opened my mouth. I’ll just explain to her that it’s not that. It’s a good thing I have her right now. Well here goes nothing.

“Listen Atzi… what’s wrong with your hands?” she puts her hands in her sweater pockets.

“Don’t pay attention to them. Just let it go.” She puts her head down.

“Atzi, are you okay?” my voice sounds panicked. “Someone call 911.” I feel for a pulse.

          What’s wrong with her? The doctors haven’t answered my questions. I hate when they do that. I need answers. Thank god her mom is here. maybe she’ll explain to me what’s going on. I’m just going to wait until she talks to the doctor.

(five minutes later)

“Thanks for taking action.” Her mom sits next to me.

“It was nothing. What’s wrong with her?” she starts crying.

“Well she won’t like me telling you, but uh she has cancer. She forgot to take one of her pills and her body shut down. That happens when she has a headache.” My mom comes running.

“Julie is she okay?” they hug each other.

“Yeah she just had a headache and she fainted. Your son saved her.” My mom looks at me.

“That’s nice of you.” I smile at her.

“May I see her?” My mom looks confused at me.

“Yeah sure. Just tell the doctor.” I walk to the nurse station.

“May I help you?” The nurses look at me.

“Yes I would love to know who the doctor is for an Atzi…” the nurse cuts me off.

“Who are you?” the nurse looks at curiously.

“Marie that’s the guy who saved her. He’s a family friend.” Her mom puts her hands on my shoulders.

“She’s in room A5.” I run to the room.

          I just hope she’s okay.

“Why are you here?” Her voice comes out weakly.

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I’ll leave you alone, now.” I walk slowly to the door.

“Wait.” I stop on my tracks. “Thanks for saving me.” I turn around.

“It was nothing. Just promise me you’ll get better.” She points to the chair.

“Sit.” I follow her orders.

          She might be sick but she still smells like roses and apple juice.

“What were you saying earlier? I smell like what?” she closes her eyes.

“Just that you smell like roses and apple juice.” Her lips form a smile.

“You are funny.” She opens her eyes.

“Yeah I know… there’s more but I still have to think. I want to think before I do anything.” Her mom comes in.

“Adji you have to leave. You can come visit her tomorrow.” My mom pokes her head in.

          Thank you. I would have probably told her what I was thinking about. I’m not ready for that. I know I can’t stop thinking about her, but do I love her?

“What are you thinking about?” my mom looks at me.

“Atzi.” I simply reply.

“Son just ask her out.” I blush at her comment.

“Does she like me?” My mom burst out laughing.

“Well I think she does. But talk to her and ask.” My mom pushes me out the door. “Tomorrow you are going to spend all day with her.” I sigh.