37. Darling

"I thought I was over you
I'd put out the flame
Said tonight will be different
I wouldn't need to play your games
I walk past your tower block
Saw a flick in the blinds
I said tonight will be different
And that I won't come back
But here I am"

Emilie's pov

3 days has passed since I saw Jeff in front of the building. Nothing has happened since that event.
I was scared to go to work again, and I thought that I would see him whenever I looked around, but no, he never came.
Maybe he just went back to Chicago. I hope so.

But the problem is that I still receive letters. I had one two days ago, saying that I have to wait for him. Wait for what? You can go away I'd be more than happy!
I called Anders after the meeting, and he told me that he hadn't seen Jeff since a week. He told me he will send someone to protect me, but as he has to find someone first and send him here, it'll take long.
From now on, Peter is so sweet. Always protecting me, calling me before and after my work, trying to take me to it every day. He's so cute, but I notice by the bags under his eyes that he's as scared as me, and that he's exhausted. I feel bad for making him stressed like that. I tell him that I'm fine, that I've resisted him for a long time and that I won't let him take me, but he doesn't listen. He's too stubborn when it comes to me and my safety.

I'm now alone at home, as it's Saturday but Peter is working. He'll come home soon, so I'm preparing for him to come.
I'm cooking when I hear a strange noise in the street. I get up and head towards the window to look outside.

Here it is, the bmw car. The one I saw days ago. The one which certainly took pics of me. Jeff's car.

I instantly go down the window, hoping that he didn't see me.
I'm feeling like a helpless prey, hiding in my kitchen like that. But what can I do?
No Emilie, you need to get up and fight, tell him to fuck off and leave you alone for good. You can't let him play with you like that. It's slowly destroying your sanity, and Peter's one too. You can't let that happen.
Even if I'm trying to act strong, when I get up, my knees are shaking and I nearly fall to the ground.

The car is still there, so I slowly open the window to scream him insanities.
When I open my mouth, the car rapidly drives off at full speed.
What the heck? Is he a coward?

When I turn around to go back to my cooking, someone was sitting on my sofa. I scream in fear and surprise and feel my heart skipping a beat. This person instantly turns over and I see him, Jeff, with his long black hair and his scared smile, watching me.

How did he go inside? Was the person in the car only driving him here?

I lay still in the kitchen, trying to pretend serious and determined, whereas I'm scared.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him, trying my best to have my voice steady and not shaking.

"Visiting you." He only replies. His voice sent shivers down my spine and made my hairs rose up. It was a long time since I've heard this low voice, and memories of his games instantly went back.

"I didn't allow you to enter, go away." I was surprised by my behavior and my confidence. Something I missed before when I argued with him.

He slowly gets up from the sofa. "I don't need permission to be here, I do what I want. And right now, I want to be here, with you."
I take that time to analyze him. He still has a white hoodie, but by his color I assume that it's a new one. The older one was turning to orange because of the blood.