Chapter Ten 〰

Just Cause......And Check Out My Other Books As Well! 😊🙃
.......................................................

December 27, 2013 8:00 pm Location: Unknown

Two days later, I was back at the underground city. I made the deal with the devil and stayed stuck to my word.

Flashback

The past two days, I spent it with my father and family friends, including Daniel's parents. They came to our home along with dad's colleagues from work. There was Billy, Joe, Chris and Mike. They had brought some company as well to the occasion. Billy and Joe are both men in their 50's with grandkids on the way. Chris was a newlywed to his beautiful wife Lisa. And Mike is a newbie to the cop department and he brought his girlfriend along as well.

Daniel's parents came with gifts and desert. His mother aged after his death.  Her once polished skin became yellow like a corpse. His father sported a white beard and his once bright eyes are now filled with sadness. Both held a small smile but, they were still suffering from their sons death. I took them both in my embrace and gave them a smile.

My father took the men to the living room while the ladies helped in the kitchen. It was just small talk while we set up Christmas Dinner. The men chatted and laughter echoed through the hollow walls. This house felt so much alive after the past years. My father looked like a carefree man. His laugher, his smile and was light up like a Christmas tree. The warm feeling washed through me, a familiar presence shadowed me.

Daniel

He stood behind me but, eyes moved from his mother to his father. He looked at them in such sorrow that broke my heart. Here I am, able to see him but his parents couldn't see their son.

He looked at me sadly before vanishing through the kitchen wall behind where we were standing. Even the dead needed a moment to themselves.

The night went on, dinner was served and father, along with Mike and Chris told jokes to keep the mood lively. I couldn't keep myself from laughing only to feel like we were begin watch by Daniel.

That night, he came to my room as I was getting ready for bed. He didn't need to say anything, I already knew his sorrow and how much he missed parents. He laid, more like hovered, in my bed as I pulled the covers up to my chin. He kissed my forehead and my sad eyes met his. Somehow, our tears rolled down our cheeks.

No words are exchanged between us. Just plain sadness washed through us.

Present

"Hey, girl!" A shout took my out of my daydream. Turning around, Gabe was walking towards me. He wore a black t-shirt, grey sweatpants and Nike running shoes.

I sighed, he still hasn't given the welcoming feeling. And still doesn't like to use my name.

"My name isn't girl, oomph, or you. It's Riley. Learn my name. It's easy, no brain power needed, you overgrown Oompa Loompa." I said to Gabe as he walked down the hall and I followed him. It's a thing that he does whenever I am around. He expects me to follow him like a lapdog.

"Jackass." I said under my breath and stuck out my tongue towards his back.

"What did you say?" Gabe said as he turned his head to look at me.

"I said, "Suck it, Wolverine"." I said smirking and he stopped walking. He turned around and walked up to my face. I stopped in my tracks, I gulped.