Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

The dance was in two days and Hermione was a bit restless. She busied herself with more homework than usual, which was nearly impossible. Her study dates with Draco were the highlights of her week; she barely talked to her Gryffindor friends anymore. It seemed to just be her and Draco now.

It made her feel sad and guilty when she passed them in the hall. Although, she was still mad at Ron, she didn’t even know if she would ever forgive him. She wondered if he was happy with Lavender. ‘Who cares?’ She thought. ‘I am over Ronald now.’ But she still wondered if that was really true.

She looked across the table at Draco. ‘Do I like him?’ She asked herself. ‘Am I falling in love with the boy who bullied me for 5 years?’

“Granger?” Draco asked, noticing her stare.

“Nothing, sorry.” She said, quickly.

Draco knew he liked Hermione, but his pride would never let him give in. A Malfoy and a Mudblood… His Father would never let it happen, anyways.

When their study session was over, they left without another word. Neither of them knew what to say, it had gotten a bit awkward between them ever since they decided to go to the dance together.

Hermione wondered what people would say. Would they talk about it? Spread rumors? ‘Of course they will, Hogwarts is full of gossip!’ Hermione thought. Hermione ran to her dorm and jumped into bed, deciding it was time for a small nap before her next class.

When she woke up, she had just enough time to rush to the Astronomy tower. But, while running down the hall, she ran into a something very solid. She looked up to Ron rubbing his forehead where she had head butted him.

She made a move to go around him but he grabbed her arm. “You’ve been avoiding me.” He said.

“Look, Ronald, I’m late for class, can we talk later?” She asked.

“No, because you’ll just avoid me again.” He said. “Why’ve you been avoiding me, Hermione? Did I do something wrong?”

“Erm…” She started. She tried to move around him again but he took a firm grip on her arm. “Please, let me go.”

“Not until you tell me why you’ve been avoiding me.” Ron said.

“Let her go, Weasel.” Hermione heard Draco’s voice from behind her.

“Stay out of it, Ferret.” Ron said.

Draco grabbed Ron’s arm. “I said, let her go.”

Ron let go of Hermione’s arm and walked away.

“Thanks.” Hermione said to Draco.

“No problem.” He replied.

Hermione continued on her way to her Astronomy class. Though, she didn’t see the point, she was already late. She hated being late.

The rest of the day went by smoothly, for Hermione. She continued to avoid Ron and she studied… a lot. She didn’t like that she was growing apart from her friends, but what was she to do?

She still talked to Harry and Ginny, but they had become more acquaintances than friends. She kind of missed them, but she was happy to have some time to herself. Maybe the Golden Trio would reunite again, but for now, they had to go their separate ways.

Hermione went to sleep early that night and woke up to find a note on her bedside table. She opened it to find a short, scribbled message from Ron: