Chapter 2

Chapter two:

The first week was dreadful. Draco and Hermione had to endure each other in all of the classes that Slytherins and Gryffindors had taken together. They were assigned a four foot long Potions essay and it required them to do it together, they were also assigned an Arithmacy assignment and a Charms essay.

They had finally set study sessions, though it did not take a lot of speaking, luckily. Their first study session found them in silence, the Potions essay split between them. Their second one found them only talking to tell each other if they were right or not. They both dreaded the next one... This one would force them to communicate with each other. Charms is more of a vocal subject.

“Granger.” Draco acknowledged, as he took a seat across from her in the Library.

“Malfoy.” Hermione said, not looking up from the book that had engulfed her just minutes before.

Draco pulled out his charms book and opened to the page they were told to work on. “Well then, Granger, can we get this done sooner than later?” He asked.

“Be my guest.” She replied.

“I’d rather not, but I’ll take that as a yes.” He said. Hermione rolled her eyes.

Hermione pulled out her Charms book as well, turning to the correct page and reading out an incantation.

Bonradae, also known as ‘The Illusion Spell’.” She said.

“Alright,” Draco said, pulling out his wand. He waved it in the form shown onthe page and recited, “Bonradae.”

All around them, a forest appeared. “Whoa...” Hermione whispered.

Draco reached out a hand to touch one of the trees, but his hand went right through the trunk. “Yeah.” He agreed.

The forest disappeared and Hermione piped up happily, “My turn!” She pulled out her wand and copied Draco’s motion. “Bonradae.” She recited.

Around them, a ballroom appeared, with soft music playing in the background.

“It’s beautiful.” Hermione said.

The ballroom disappeared and Draco and Hermione copied down what had happened.

“Next?” Hermione asked Draco.

Expecto Patronum,” He said. “Also known as the ‘Patronus Charm’.” 

“Oh, I know this one!” Hermione said, excitedly.

Draco rolled his eyes.

Hermione lifted her wand and flourished it through the air. “Expecto Patronum.” She said. An Otter burst from the end of her wand and danced circles around them. Hermione gave her wand another flourish and the Otter was gone.

“Okay, your turn.” She said to Draco.

He flourished his wand and recited, lazily, “Expecto Patronum.”

Nothing happened.

Hermione looked at him, confused, but then realized what was wrong. “You have to think of the happiest memory you have.” She said to him.

He looked at her and said, “I have no happy memories.” Right then, he got up and left the Library.

Hermione felt bad for him. Growing up with a such a demanding father, she guessed he was telling the truth; he had no happy memories.

She gathered her things and left the Library, heading up to the Gryffindor common room.

“Hey, Hermione.” Ginny said, as Hermione walked through the portrait hole.