Chapter 3

Chapter Three:

Working with Draco got a bit better, he seemed to have also decided to be nicer to her. ‘I wonder if I rubbed off on him.’ Hermione thought, amusing herself. She was walking down to the Library, her and Draco had an Arithmacy study session.

She walked into the Library and took a seat across from Draco, who had already started. He glanced up at her, but only for a second, before going back to their project. He pushed some parchment in her direction that he had already scribbled on.

She pulled out her Arithmacy book and started to copy down information. ‘Draco’s acting weird.’ She thought to herself, looking up at him. He didn’t seem to notice her stare.

She looked at him a bit closer and almost gasped at the state of him. There were visible bags under his eyes and a tear streak down his left cheek. His hair was a mess and his face was blank.

“Malfoy…” She started.

He didn’t look up at her, but replied with a harsh, “What?”

“Are… are you… okay?” She asked.

“Fine, Granger. Just do the project.” He said.

“You are not fine!” She exclaimed, but not loud enough for anyone but him to hear.

“It’s none of your business.” He said.

She looked taken aback. “Draco…” She said.

She could see the change in his facial expression as she used his first name. “Leave me alone, Granger! I’m fine!” He exclaimed.

She gasped. “I-I’m sorry… I just thought maybe I could help.” She said.

“You can’t help me. No one can.” He said.

“I can try.” She said. “If you tell me.”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“How would you know if you won’t tell me?” She asked.

“I can’t tell you, Granger!” He exclaimed. “And even if I could, you wouldn’t be the person I would confide in.”

She was speechless. She looked at him in shock. What was going on with him? She watched as he gathered his things and left.

Back in the Gryffindor common room, she couldn’t take her mind off of Draco. ‘What’s wrong with him?’ She thought. ‘Is it something to do with his father, or… Voldemort?’ She refused to believe he had become a death eater. He wasn’t that bad. Was he? Whatever it was, she wanted to help.

She looked at the clock on her bedside table and quickly got up when she noticed the first Quidditch match of the season would be starting soon. She gathered her things and rushed out of the castle. She was glad to see that it had just started when she got to the Quidditch pitch.

She cheered on Gryffindor as the match quickly came to an end, Gryffindor winning. She followed her house back to the common room and cheered as they lifted Ron up into the air. She hugged Harry, who seemed very happy and watched as Fred and George finally put Ron down.

She pushed to the front of the crowd to go give Ron a hug, but Lavender Brown beat her to him. She watched as Lavender greedily smashed her lips to his. The tears came to quickly for Hermione and she rushed out of the common room.

She found an abandoned staircase and let the tears flow, smoothly. She heard footsteps coming down the stairs and quickly tried to wipe her tears. She looked behind her to see Draco Malfoy, in an even worse state than before.