Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve:

The war was over. Miracles had happened. We had won. Hermione stayed at Hogwarts for three days after the war had ended, helping move patients to St. Mungos Hospital or helping rebuild parts of the castle. A few others had stayed behind also, following her lead.

She slept in Gryffindor tower, woke early, and then was ordered around by McGonagall. Hermione didn't mind being ordered around, all she really wanted to do was help rebuild the only home she had left.

After the three days, McGonagall told Hermione to go home. She wandered around the castle awhile, procrastinating. There were groups of workers —some volunteers some not— rebuilding the walls as she walked past. Hermione could tell who the volunteers were because all the other people she had never seen before.

She waved at Bill and Fleur, who were fixing a spot where the floor caved in. They smiled back at her. She slowly made her way to the room of requirement, where everything had already been fixed, and sat, staring at the wall where the door would be.

After a while, Hermione noticed that she could hear another slow and steady breath, other than her own. She looked around, but the hallway was vacant. She paced up and down, listening, until she knew just where to look.

She tip-toed over to a statue of an angel with its hands covering its eyes. Hermione peeked behind the statue and there she found the oddest of things she could've imagined: A sleeping Draco Malfoy.

Hermione shook his shoulder and he woke up instantly.

"I didn't know you were still here." Hermione said.

"I stayed behind to help rebuild." He said.

"Oh."

"We haven't talked since... since you were at Malfoy Manor."

"Yeah..."

"I... I'm so-"

"You have no reason to apologize." Hermione interrupted. "As you said, you had no control over it."

Draco sighed, sadly. "Still, Hermione, I'm sorry."

Hermione smiled sadly and took a seat across from him, behind the angel statue. "I know." She said.

Draco stood up and offered Hermione his hand. She took it and he lead them out from behind the angel statue. He didn't let go of her hand.

They walked down the hallway and turned a corner to see Bill and Fleur still working on the floor. Hermione lead Draco over and started to fill in the hole, Draco following her lead.

They got the floor finished and started working on a near by wall, Bill and Fleur starting to get curious.

"What's with him?" Bill whispered to Hermione.

She smiled shyly. "He's a friend."

Fleur raised her eyebrows. "Just a friend?" She asked.

Hermione blushed. "Yes."

"Isn't that Malfoy's kid?" Bill asked.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "He's nothing like his father." She said defensively. "He's almost the total opposite. He was just a boy with no choices."

Bill looked at her suspiciously but dropped the subject.

"Vhy are Ron and 'Arry not 'ere?" Fleur asked, her voice returning to a normal volume.

"They had to sort a few things out over at the ministry." She answered.

"Did you hear that Kingsley was appointed position of Minister of Magic?" Bill asked.

Hermione smiled widely. "I didn't, that's amazing!"

"Yeah. Finally a good Minister." Bill chuckled.

"Best I've seen so far." She said.

They finished the wall and Draco and Hermione waved farewell to Bill and Fleur. They walked in no particular direction, hand in hand, catching each other up on there depressing lives, starting from when Draco left Hogwarts. Hermione's story seemed more exciting but Draco's seemed more depressing.

As they continued walking randomly though the corridors of Hogwarts, their subject changed to memories of fighting with each other. Draco apologized a few times during the conversation. They laughed about it all and then fell into silence. It wasn't awkward though, it was more comforting.

They found their way outside and sat down by the black lake. Draco sat with his back against the tree, Hermione in his lap, and his arms around her waist. They hadn't said anything about what happened at Malfoy Manor, they had skipped over that part entirely, while they were catching each other up. Draco still didn't know if she had said anything back to him. All he knew was that he was happy while she sat in his lap, without protesting.

Soon they got up again and started to wonder around with no destination, yet again.

"McGonagall told me to go home, but I have no where to go." Draco said.

Hermione half sighed half laughed and said, "Same here."

"Where are you going to go?" He asked.

"The Leaky Couldron. I'll stay there until I can find a flat... and a job."

"At least you have a plan."

She stopped. "You... you could... come with me."

He stopped and turned toward her in awe.

"If you want to." She added.

All in one motion, he let go of her hand, pulled her toward him, and slammed their lips together. Hermione smiled as she kissed him and Draco smiled too. They pulled apart and Draco placed his forehead to hers.

"Okay." He said.

"Okay?" Hermione replied.

"Okay." He said again.

Hermione smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too."