Chapter 9

Chapter Nine:

The days went by to fast, for Draco, and the time he dreaded was only days away. He was avoiding Hermione; it hurt him too much to know what this would do to her. He had kept sending her apology notes though, still anonymous.

He had made up his mind, he would not die for Hermione Granger, and she would’ve been the only person keeping him from killing Dumbledore if he had decided otherwise. But, now, he has to do it. Not for her, sadly… But for himself.

He was selfish, it was in his blood, and he didn’t know how to stop it.

He spent his days in the Room of Requirement, trying to fix the cabinet. He would sometimes see Hermione, walking the halls, looking depressed and worried and this made him sad. But there was nothing he could do.

Three days…

He was sitting in Potions class, as far away from Hermione as he could get. He looked out the window for a split second and when he looked back… she was standing in front of him.

“You’ve been avoiding me… What’s going on, Draco?” She asked, looking betrayed.

“Erm… I—“ He started, but, luckily, the bell rang loud and he jumped up from his seat. He ran, quickly, out the door and didn’t stop until he was sure she wouldn’t catch up.

He roamed the halls for a while, not in the mood to do anything productive. He would always slip into a different corridor or hide in and empty alcove when he saw Hermione passing.

He was walking past a flight of stairs, not really sure where he was, when he heard a soft sob coming from the bottom.

“He’s a jerk, he always has been. Don’t beat yourself up about it.” He heard someone say.

“He had become my best friend though, Ginny. Harry and Ron have basically abandoned me.” He heard Hermione say.

“Oh, Draco Malfoy is just a jackass. He was probably leading you on just to break your heart in the end.” Ginny said.

‘They’re talking about me… I’ve made Hermione cry…’ He thought, sadly.

“That doesn’t help!” Hermione exclaimed.

Draco, quickly, walked away, not wanting to hear anymore.

Two days…

He had still been avoiding Hermione, and she would understand why soon enough. But, it hurt him every time he caught a glimpse of her, even more when they caught each others eye and she would start to tear up. He never meant for this to happen, he only meant to protect her.

He hoped Hermione would one day be able to forgive him and understand. But Draco was a realist and it was very hard for him to keep up that hope.

One day…

He was scared… oh, so scared. He would never admit it to anyone, not even himself, but he was. His pride over ruled the rest of him, trying to keep his reputation; it wasn’t working to well though, not after the dance.

He had come to a conclusion. He did love Hermione, even though he wouldn’t die for her. He was giving her up because she deserved better. At least that’s what he told himself… He didn’t really know if he loved her or not, he didn’t even know why he had chosen to go through with it. He was confused.

Confused and Scared.

His time is up…

Today is the day… The day he would officially become part of the dark side. Isn’t this what he’s wanted all along? No. It’s what his father brainwashed him to want. Why does it hurt so much… Looking at her and knowing he’s only going to hurt her more.

He skipped most of his classes today, not seeing the point in going to them. He would be leaving Hogwarts today… Saying goodbye to the place he considered home. Yes, he had a home, but that home was horrible. Hogwarts would forever be his true home.

He walked the halls, running his hand over the stone walls. ‘I will miss this place.’ He thought to himself. He ran his hands over the desks in the empty classrooms, over the Slytherin table in the Great hall, over his bed sheets… All would be his past in just a few hours.

He spent the rest of the day in the Room of Requirement, waiting for the death eaters. He’d tried to clear his mind, because when he thought, nothing went right. He needed to concentrate, or he would not be able to go through with it and that would lead to his death.

When the death eaters arrived, they headed straight for the Astronomy tower. When they reached the stairs, some of the Order members were already there. He was engulfed into a fight but when he saw a flash of bushy brown hair he pulled himself away.

He headed straight for her and pulled her into a dark and empty alcove.

~~

Hermione didn’t see a face, she was just yanked into the dark. The man put his hand to her face and sighed 

“I’m sorry…” The man said, and She knew right away who he was. “There isn’t anything I can do.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She whispered. “What’s going on?”

He sighed again. “I hope, one day, you can forgive me.” He said.

Hermione felt him lean down and suddenly there was a pair of lips pressed to her own. She deepened the kiss, wanting it never to end, but he pulled away and disappeared. She was left in the alcove with tears in her eyes and a whisper of a kiss still on her lips.

She stepped out of the alcove and back into the battle. She noticed a few people missing though, but it didn’t matter as a bolt of red sparks shot out at her.

~~

Hermione felt so many things when Harry told her what happened. One thing, though, stuck out to her more than anything. Draco didn’t do it. He couldn’t do it! Hermione couldn’t help but think that it had something to do with her, or she hoped it did.