Where There's Love, There's Also Hate

I finally made a decision on whether or not I wanted to go back to America with Dad two days later. So, being as quiet as possible, I crawled out of bed, leaving a very tired Harry behind, and went to Dad’s room. I opened the door slowly, revealing him sitting on the bed reading a book. I assumed he got it from the library.

“Dad?” I whispered. Startled, he turned to me, but then he smiled.

“Is something wrong sweetheart?” He asked, gesturing for me to come sit with him.

I sat on the side of the bed with my head hung low. My decision was final and there would be no going back now. “I made a decision,” I confessed, flexing my toes.

Dad grabbed my hand and squeezed lightly. “You have? What is it?”

I looked up, straight into his blue eyes. “I want to go back with you.”

A beaming smile appeared across his face and he enveloped me in a tight hug. I wished I could feel as ecstatic as he did about my conclusion, but the thought of leaving Harry behind broke my heart. We would have to leave in secret because there was no way on this Earth he would let me leave. Not after all the trouble he went through to get me here.

“I’m so happy, Veronica,” he kissed my temple, “Is Harry coming too?”

I shook my head, tears threatening to fall from my water brimmed eyes. I sniffled. “He thinks we should stay here. So I want to leave now. He won’t realize we’ve left until morning.”

Dad’s smile faded and his lips pulled into a straight line. “I know how hard this must be for you. But it’s for the best.”

I nodded, agreeing with him. In time, I knew things would turn out the way they were supposed to.

As we arrived at the airport, just Dad and I, I checked the time on the clock in the car. It was 2:15 A.M. It didn’t bother us though because I was used to him getting up this early to head to the hospital or get called in for an emergency.

Surprisingly, there was a flight set for three. So, we had to wait forty-five minutes. That left me enough to time to ponder about some things. As I sat there, my head leaned against Dad’s shoulder my mind began to wander.

I never thought my first love would be a boy who kidnapped me and held me hostage for almost a year. They say you can’t help who you fall in love with. Well, it must be true. My eyes drifted closed, but my thoughts continued to run wild.

I’ve heard the quote, “It’s better to have loved and lost than to have ever loved at all.” Somehow, I could agree with that. I would never take my relationship with Harry back. I would love him until I lay on my deathbed.

And I knew deep down that he would too.

Harry’s POV

I rolled over, reaching to wrap my arm around Veronica. My hand hit the cold bed, finding nothing lying beside me. Surprised, my eyes shot open. She wasn’t there and she wasn’t in the room either.

“Veronica?” I spoke. I knew she could hear me, but there wasn’t an answer.

Feeling a little on edge, I climbed out of bed and got to my feet, steadying myself from my sleepy haze. I stumbled down the hall, on my way to the bathroom when I spotted a sheet of paper lying on the counter in the kitchen. I grabbed it, blinking a few time to focus my eyesight on the cursive scrawl written.

Dear Harry,

I knew we wouldn’t be able to reach a decision on where to stay. So, I made the decision for myself. I didn’t leave because I don’t love you, Harry. That’s never the answer. I love you more than anything. By the time you find this, Dad and I will probably be half way back to America. I can’t possibly know how you’re feeling right now, but what I do know is that you’ll have a wonderful life. Maybe you’ll find another girl you like better than me. You can get married and start a family with her. The babies will be fine and I’ll tell them all about their wonderful father. But all I ask is: don’t ever forget me Harry.

I love you.

Veronica.

Tears streamed down my face as I read every word. Was she kidding? She thought I could possibly find another girl as wonderful as her? Not in a million years would that ever happen. Slowly, I dropped to the floor, clutching my chest. My heart was broken into a million pieces. She left me. And there was nothing I could do about it.

As I reread the note over and over again, I thought of all the memories we shared. How could she let all of those go? Why couldn’t she stay here with me and raise our family here?

All of my questions seemed to go unanswered.

But what I did know was Veronica brought out the best in me. But she also brought out the worst. And I could feel myself drifting farther to that side of the spectrum.

Love can be a dangerous emotion.

AN~ its over... NOT. there would be a sequel :)