Test Anxiety

It was a week before my birthday and I had started counting down the days. The day before Christmas. Most people ask me if I get less presents since my birthday is so close to the biggest holiday of the year, but that wasn't necessarily the truth. I was an only child and since Dad was a neurosurgeon, he could afford most of the stuff I asked for.

Today, I sat on the couch curled up with a warm blanket and a cup of tea Harry had made me. He was in the kitchen, making a list of things that we needed because he was going to go to the grocery store to stock up on supplies. In the past few days, I had noticed that I had been gaining a little weight and I hadn't started my monthly cycle. That was usually a sign of something that I didn't even want to think of. I needed Harry to get a pregnancy test for me, but I didn't want to tell him. Somehow, I had to find a way to get one.

"Niall's coming over to sit with you while I go shopping," Harry said. I turned to look at him, setting my tea on the side table.

It was like my wish had been granted. I could ask Niall to get me a pregnancy test and Harry would never know if it was negative.

"Sounds good," I smiled, pulling the blanket tighter around my body.

As if on cue, the door knocked and Niall let himself in. He was dressed casually in a red knit sweater and dark wash jeans that hung loose on his hips. A toothy grin was plastered on his playful face.

"Hey, Ronnie. Harry," he waved to me, but nodded to Harry.

Harry replied with a nod too and walked to the couch, giving me a tiny peck on the nose. "Be good. I'll be back soon."

I watched as he walked out the door, leaving Niall and me alone. I instantly wanted to tell him of my predicament, so I did what I do best. Blatantly tell him. "Niall," I failed to use his nickname, "I think I'm pregnant."

The smile on his face disappeared. He raised a hand to his face and placed it on his forehead, rubbing back and forth. "What? Are you kidding me?"

To be honest, I thought it was weird that I wasn't acting all surprised like he was. This should be like a major shock to me. Me, pregnant with my captor's child? How could this be? But I wasn't thinking that way. It didn't bother me in the slightest.

I shook my head to answer his question. "I need a pregnancy test. Can you get me one?" I asked too calmly.

Niall looked absolutely shocked. "Shouldn't we tell Harry first?"

"No," I shot up from my seat, "I want to make sure first. The last thing I need is for him to get worked up about this."

Niall nodded. "Right, right. What was I thinking?" Then, he frantically paced the kitchen, hand still placed on his forehead. I watched him intently, waiting for his next move.

He went to the door, grabbing the handle, turning to look back at me. "I'll be back before he does. Stay here."

Like I would try to leave. With that, I was left alone to ponder how on Earth this had happened. Harry had used protection right? There must've been something faulty. Of course, what with my luck. I followed Niall's actions and paced back and forth, hands on my hips, waiting for him to return.

It seemed like he was gone only a few minutes when he returned, cheeks red and eyes wide. He held a white plastic bag and handed it to me. I took out the rectangular box inside, examining the labeling.

Positive results in less than 60 seconds.

Those were the first words I read. With a sigh and one last glance to Niall, I hesitantly walked to the bathroom. Opening the box, I slid the test out and quickly peed on it. When I set it on the sink, a feeling of anxiety washed over me. I needed to know if I was pregnant. Now.