Just Now Got the Feeling

Dear Dad,

How are you? I’m fine and I hope you are too. I know this seems sudden, but I wanted you to know. I’m pregnant. With twins. A boy and a girl. Even though you probably don’t care, just like you don’t care about me, I needed you to know that you’re going to be a grandpa, Dad. I hope everything is going well at the hospital. Give Ava and Laney my best.

I love you.

Veronica.

I sent the email with one little click while Harry talked to his mom on the phone. His voice echoed down the hall, sounding cheerful. Closing the computer screen, Harry came out of his room and pulled me from my seat. He had a wide, bright smile on his face.

“She wants to meet you now,” he intoned.

“Really?” I asked, surprised yet excited. “Okay. Just let me get cleaned up.”

I refused to meet Harry’s mother dressed in his ragged clothes. Skipping to the bathroom, I quickly washed my face then headed to my room. I decided to wear a red sundress because it was the only thing that even remotely fit me right now.

Harry was rummaging through one of the drawers in the kitchen when I came out. He pulled something small from it, but I couldn’t make out anything specific. And I didn’t bother to ask either. He would tell me if he wanted to or I would find out on my own sooner or later.

We drove to his mother’s house. Harry was calm while I was a heap of emotions mixed with excitement and anxiousness. I was, after all, meeting the mother of my extremely devoted kidnapper.

Her house was quaint and had a Victorian style exterior. The panels were painted white while the roof had black tile. It looked perfect for any middle-aged woman.

“Come,” Harry beckoned, “she’s making dinner for us.”

Until he mentioned food, I didn’t even realize I was hungry. My stomach rumbled at the thought. I clutched it, hand trembling.

“I’m nervous Harry. This is your mother.” My voice shook with each spoken word.

He touched my face gingerly; thumb stroking the apple of my cheek. “There’s no need to be. She’ll love you.”

I looked down, smiling. Harry helped me out of the car and up the front porch steps. He rang the doorbell with ardor and it took a moment for the wooden door to slowly swing open. A short, thin woman was revealed. She had long, brown hair and slightly tanned skin. Harry looked exactly like her. He had her eyes and smile.

“Harry,” she spoke his name but looked at me. “She’s beautiful. I’m Anne,” she smiled.

Then her eyes lowered to the erupting bulge that was my stomach and her smile grew even wider. She placed her hands on my stomach and hugged me tightly.

“I can’t wait to see these two. How are you holding up, Veronica?”

I returned her smile. “I’m fine. Everything’s fine.”

She raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow, glancing at Harry then back to me. “Is my son treating you like he should be?”

I huffed a laugh and saw Harry roll his eyes. “Yes. He’s a perfect gentleman.”

“That’s my boy,” she smiled, ushering us inside. “Come in. Come in.”

The smell of grilled chicken erupted in my nose. It was warm and inviting, just like the interior of the house. I also saw a bowl of mashed potatoes sitting on the kitchen table to accompany the main dish.

“Everything smells wonderful, Anne,” I complimented her.

She shrugged. “Oh, no. It’s just something I’ve thrown together.”

I grinned at her modesty. We had known each other all of a few minutes and I already loved Harry’s mom. She was friendly and loving, just like my mom used to be.

“Harry,” she started, joining us at the table after flipping the chicken. “Can you let us talk a minute?”

“Of course, Mum.”

Before leaving, he placed a kiss on Anne’s cheek and winked at me. Nerves tingled in my stomach so wildly, it was almost unbearable. What did she want to talk about?

“So,” she spoke, breaking me from my thoughts. “Harry tells me that your mother had passed. I’m sorry to hear that. I’m sure she was a wonderful woman.”

She was wonderful, and I missed her dearly. I was fourteen when she died, another fallen victim of an unforeseen plane crash. It was heartbreaking for both Dad and I. Not a day goes by where I don’t think of her at least once, remembering all of the happy memories I had of her before she got sick.

“And I want you to know that I’m here for you,” she continued, grabbing my hand. “If you ever need anything, I’ll be glad to help. I can teach you how to be a mother. Everything your mum would’ve taught you. Heck, I can even watch the kids if you and Harry need some alone time.”

She smiled warmly and I returned it, hot tears forming in the back of my eyes. I held them back. My throat tightened. “Thank you. So much. That means a lot to me.”

We embraced and for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was getting a hug from my mom. It wasthat real and emotional.

A tear slid down Anne’s cheek and she wiped it away with the back of her hand. “You can come back now, Harry.”

He did, looking the same as usual, except he had an extra pep in his step. I still stood, as did everyone else.

“Great. I have something very important to ask Veronica.”

He turned to me, mouth upturned in a grin. He delved into his pocket and pulled out the object he was searching for in the drawer before we left. It was a small black box. I looked to Anne who had her arms crossed over her chest. She was all smiles too. Something told me she knew what was going on.

Suddenly, Harry lowered to the ground, adjusting his self on one knee. And then it hit me like a slap in the face. He was proposing. I gasped in shock and excitement. Tears started to flow and I couldn’t stop them now.

“Veronica Caroline Bennett,” he started, opening the box to reveal a ring. A huge, shining diamond sat atop it. “Will do the honors of making me the happiest man in the world and marry me?”

I was rendered speechless. My breathing was labored and it was so quiet that that was all I could hear. Harry sat there, still smiling, waiting for me to answer.

Then I took a deep breath. “Yes. Of course I’ll marry you.”

His green eyes gleamed like emeralds and he jumped up from his position. I was enveloped in a smothering hug and sweet kisses were placed all over my face. In the background, Anne jumped up and down excitedly, clapping.

“I’ve wanted to help plan Harry’s wedding for so long! Now’s my chance! Oh, I can’t wait to pick out your dress!”

Harry and I both laughed at her comment and then he placed a lingering kiss on my ever-ready lips. “You won’t regret this. I promise.”

And I knew he would keep that promise.