[18] - One Step At A Time

[18] – One Step At A Time

Rory felt like he was going to throw up. During the weekend he’d been able to pretend that everything was okay because he had Andrew and TV and other trivial things to distract him but now it was Monday and he knew that seeing Jeremy was inevitable.

It made him feel really gassy. He was really tempted to pretend that he was sick so that he didn’t have to go to work and face his boss slash somehow-now-ex-boyfriend.

“Oh my God are you being serious right now?” Andrew exclaimed from the other side of his room door.

“Go away,” Rory mumbled, his voice coming out muffled because his head was currently buried into his pillow.

“How did I know you were going to do this?” Andrew said in amusement, “you are not calling in sick to work, Rory, I know you.”

Rory couldn’t help laughing softly into his pillow before yelling, “That is none of your business young man!”

“If you’re not ready in the next twenty minutes, I’m skipping school.”

Rory closed his eyes briefly and then shot out of his bed, walking to the door to slam it open. Andrew was standing there with his arms crossed, a confident smirk on his face because he knew he had Rory.

“Oh bugger off,” Rory growled before slamming the door in his face and heading to his bathroom to shower.

“Remember!” Andrew yelled from the other side of the door, “twenty minutes! Not a second more!”

“Sure thing mother!” Rory drawled back, making Andrew laugh and Rory took a really quick shower because the last thing he wanted was to get melancholy underneath the spray. He hummed under his breath, filling his mind with images of cartoons and video games and memories of what he’d done during the weekend with Andrew – playing games, reading, watching TV – anything at all to get his mind off the fact that he was going to face Jeremy sooner or later.

When he was dressed, satchel in hand, he made his way downstairs, taking note that it was nearly nine o’clock and assuming that Andrew must have left already – he wasn’t the type to end up late for school.

He blinked in surprise at the sight of Andrew just placing a plate of buttered toast on the table beside a plate of sausages, scrambled eggs and a really big mug of tea.

Andrew rolled his eyes at Rory’s gobsmacked expression.

“I’m not entirely useless you know,” Andrew teased, grabbing his school bag from the table and rushing to the door, “Remember that you have to make Jeremy work for it, if you know what I mean.”

Rory rolled his eyes but he was smiling, honestly deeply touched that Andrew had made him breakfast and a big breakfast at that, not just his signature bowl of cereal, “You’re going to miss the bus if you don’t leave right now.”

“Right, right, I’m going!”

Rory bit his lower lip, listening to Andrew as he walked out of the house, closing the door behind him. After a minute he reached for his phone and quickly typed a text to his brother.

Thank you x

He was just settling into his seat at the table when his phone pinged with a reply from Andrew.

You’ll never know if I peed in your scrambled eggs x

Rory laughed and quickly replied; Charming x