[12] - Don't You Worry Child

[12] – Don’t You Worry Child

Andrew was happy for his brother, he really was, but sometimes he felt that Rory could be a bit overdramatic sometimes.

“Rory, it’s just dinner and I’m not mum,” he teased, watching with amusement as Rory rushed around the kitchen, metaphorically pulling his hair out to make dinner perfect.

“Well this is the first time Jeremy is going to visit, so it isn’t just dinner.”

“You need to stop stressing. I’m pretty sure with the way you two have been going, dear sweet Jeremy wouldn’t mind if you gave him a fucking cabbage for dinner.”

“Andrew please watch your language when you’re around him,” Rory groaned, cupping his cheeks and standing in the middle of the kitchen, “oh gosh, I’m so nervous. I feel like a housewife.”

“Are you not a housewife? I was under the impression that you were.”

Rory couldn’t help the soft chuckle that left his lips and Andrew beamed, standing up from the stool he was sitting on to give Rory a friendly punch to the shoulder. 

“Seriously, you need to stop stressing. It’s going to be fine.”

Rory inhaled deeply and turned to look at Andrew, his eyes showing his panic, “it’s not about that,” he mumbled, “it’s…I really want you to like him.”

Andrew bit his lip suddenly realizing what was happening. Rory was in love. Well, he’d guessed as much a long time ago but right now, it seemed to be staring at him right in the face that his brother had gone and fallen madly in love with his boss.

Andrew knew that the only time people ever brought someone to meet their family; it just meant that they were serious with the person and it wasn’t just some fling. The fact that Rory wanted to finally introduce Andrew to Jeremy spoke volumes. He knew Rory like the back of his palm and he knew that this was a big step for him, like a mini-marriage proposal, even though Jeremy – or even Rory – might not even know that. The fact that Rory was out to seek Andrew’s approval of his boyfriend meant that he had to be madly in love with said boyfriend or at least have strong enough feelings for him to want them to like each other.

And for a second, he was filled with an overwhelming protective urge. He suddenly felt like Jeremy wasn’t good enough, suddenly didn’t want to like this Jeremy character because Rory might never know this, but Andrew was every bit as overprotective of Rory as Rory was of Andrew.

He remembered how nervous he’d felt the first time he’d brought Valerie home. At that point, he’d thought he could marry her one day. He’d seen their future all mapped out and he was scared that Rory was making the same mistake.

Rory is not you and Jeremy is not Valerie.

He swallowed at the thought and nodded inwardly to himself. He shouldn’t judge Jeremy when he hadn’t even met the man yet. This was a big step in Rory’s life, if he was seeking approval from both Jeremy and himself, then he was going to get it.

“Don’t worry, Rory,” Andrew beamed, “if he’s anything like you’ve been insinuating for the past God knows how long, I’m sure I’m gonna like him.”

Rory beamed, looking just mildly pleased before he continued rushing around the kitchen, aiming to make the night as pleasant and as perfect as possible.

Rory wiped his palms down on his apron, staring at his kitchen with wide eyes. The table was set for three and the smell of pot roast with rice and vegetables filled the kitchen. There was a boat load of ice-cream and fruit salad in the fridge for dessert.