[16] - I Hate This Part

[16] – I Hate This Part

As the plane took off from Florida, Jeremy literally felt like he couldn’t breathe.

His pocket felt a thousand times heavier with the engagement ring sitting at the bottom of it and his heart was racing as he thought about how Rory would react. Would he like it? Would he say yes? They’d been dating steadily and practically living together for three years now and Jeremy thought it was about time. So he knew that Rory had his issues with his illness and all, but the doctors said he was a special case and he was probably going to live just as long as everyone else.

Jeremy couldn’t help the wide grin that stretched his lips as he palmed the bulge in his pocket, cheeks flushing as he mentally began to plan how he was going to ask Rory to marry him.

He felt a little bit guilty that he hadn’t told Rory about Grayson and Gianni’s new adopted children – which was the sole reason why he’d even gone to Florida in the first place – but he knew that there was no way he’d have been able to get the ring with Rory there.

It had been easy enough, what with Rory studying for his final exams, Jeremy knew that he would be too busy and distracted to notice how nervous he’d become before he left for Florida. Jeremy knew that Rory wanted to finish school before they got really permanent but he really couldn’t wait. He wanted Rory to be his NOW.

He’d spotted the ring online when he’d made the decision to ask Rory to be his husband and didn’t want to order it. He’d wanted to go to the shop physically to get the ring, to touch it and see it. So maybe he’d only done it so that he would be mentally prepared – so that he would tell himself that after this there was no going back.

Should he take Rory to a restaurant? Was that too cliché? Or maybe he should just throw a small engagement party. But would Rory like that?

Jeremy stared out the windows of the plane and into the surrounding darkness. He was a little bit exhausted from shopping for the ring with Sally – the precious girl; she’d been so much help. The ring was gorgeous. He wasn’t sure he’d have been able to even walk into the shop without her there. He smiled, remembering the way Grayson had clapped him in the back and said he’d better be the Best Man when the wedding came around and that was when it had truly sunk in that he was going to do this. He was really going to ask Rory to marry him.

Suddenly feeling tired, he closed his eyes, his dreams filled with thoughts about Rory and the bleached blonde saying ‘yes’ to his proposal. It made him smile in his sleep.

*

“Thank you,” Jeremy said softly to the driver, paying him before getting out of the cab.

Jeremy was whistling under his breath, so goddamn happy because he’d made up his mind. He was going to propose to Rory tomorrow. He’d wanted to wait until Rory had at least finished his exams to do it, but he was too excited and he just knew that if he waited, the nerves would just about kill him.

He felt that Rory would be asleep by now; he normally studied until he dropped and despite Jeremy knowing that it was a bad thing, he always let him do it, all the better to get his mind off things.

He pulled out his key and unlocked the door, still whistling as it came open.

“You lied to me.”