14. "I Didn't Get Enough Sleep."

NOT EDITED

In the morning light

Watch my roots take flight

Watch me fall above

Like a viscous dove

They don't seem to come, who can blame them? 

They never seemed to catch my eye, but I never wondered why

I won't fall asleep.

I won't fall asleep.

(Tiptoe - Imagine Dragons) 

Paralyzed, I stare down at the pictures. What? How? My neck strap? I thought ... Drew ...

That son of a bitch.

But, his picture's here, too! the small voice in the back of my head argued. And he wasn't here ... you couldn't hear the rain over the line, could'ya? He was listening to Fall Out Boy. 

He could've gotten one for his gang members to do it.

He's not in a gang.

Shut the hell up.

I shudder, looking down at the handwriting. It's ... almost not human. Like a claw was dipped in black ink and was forced to drag across paper.

I don't realise I'm crying until a wet spot appears on the yellow sticky note. I wipe at my cheeks furiously; haven't I done enough crying today?

I sniffle, curling up into a ball. What's going on? My mind can't comprehend. 

They know everything. I found a file from my school with everything about me.

Dylan Elizabeth Scott

12.14.95

Height: 5'4

Wt (lbs.): 108

Extra Curricular: Photography

I scan the paper once more before lying on the floor, petrified. Why? Why me? Why not any of the other pretty - faced sluts Drew bangs?

The rain beats against my rooftop, matching my swift heartbeat. The rhythm is fast, scared. I sob harshly, tears running down my face in large, warm drops.

A clap of thunder shakes the house. I welcome the rain - it matches my emotion. I shake, squeezing my eyes shut.

You know that sudden truck of fucking terror when you realise; 'I'm about to get fucking murdered and potentially raped?'

Okay, let's go with something more realistic.

That one moment, after jumping off the cliff into the water thousands of times, when you think 'I could die', and stop. When you're about to go on your first roller coaster with a loop and decide, at the very last moment, 'I'm going to murder my friends who forced me on this'. Or, that small gap between when you trip and hit the ground, when you realise, 'this is going to hurt'.

That's what I'm experiencing. It's the terror of death and giving birth all in one.

Okay, maybe not the second one so much.

How could my life go to shit in one month? How did I get from the girl blushing at sexual innuendos to the girl who's being stalked?

I sob, loudly. This is irrational; why am I so scared? I should not be so ... terrified of something like this.