Chapter 28.

Caroline’s POV

He was laughing.

Why was he laughing?

“Dad…why are you laughing?”

“Because I figured that if you were talking about your mother seriously that it would be that.” He chuckles and I nearly drop the phone in shock. Niall puts his hands on my shoulders pushing me back to sit in a chair.

“And you’re not-”

“Mad? I’ve hated that bitch for so long now. I only stayed with her because you loved her…right?”

“I’ve hated her all my life! Are you kidding me?” I hiss as I laugh. “Are you serious?!”

“Caroline…you never once loved her?”

“Dad, she’s given me one hell full life. Why the fuck would I love her?”

“Language Caroline.” He tells me and I roll my eyes.

“Sorry,” I mutter while blushing in embarrassment.

Silence followed us and I didn’t know what to do. My dad and I were so close that we never came to a silence in our conversations. This was a new thing for the both of us and I didn’t know what to do.

“So…what now?” I say.

I hear his loud glorious laugh echo through the speaker into my ear, “I don’t know really.”

“Are you guys getting a divorce?”

“Yes, most likely.” He says nonchalantly, with a mix of relief in his voice. Wow, he really couldn’t stand her. Now I understand! Sarcasm, I spill sarcasm a lot from my mouth.

“Will that take a while?” I ponder aloud.

“Nah, one of my friend’s is a good lawyer. He’ll get it started right away.” He explains to me.

“Dad…are you sure about this?” I say trying to hide my excitement.

He laughs a bit more, “Don’t worry about me Caroline, I’m happy about where my life is now. I couldn’t be more happy now that I know for sure that my suspicions are true.”

“True they were.” I say. “So…glad that I got that off my chest.”

“How did you find out?” he asks me curiously.

“I walked in on her-”

“What?! What did you see?!” he jumps.

“You people cut me off so much!” I laugh. “I was going to say, on a date at the house.”

“In my own house? Wow, that’s low.”

“She was at her level dude.” I laugh.

“True dat.” My dad says trying to act ghetto. Oh god, I’ve missed him.

“I’ll see you when I get back, alright?”

“I didn’t even know you were gone until Louis went to check on you, to be honest.” He says sheepishly.

“It’s alright old man,” I taunt him. I hear him laugh again and I never felt closer to him than before.

“I’ll see you later. Drive safely.”

“I took a cab.” I add.

“Tell the driver to drive you safe then!” He says loudly. “I love you Caroline.”

“I love you too dad.” I smile at the table.

And the line goes dead.

I hand the phone back to Mrs. Gray and she doesn’t hide the grin on her face as she hangs it back up. Niall stood by the back tab le, a few choice sweets in his hands. He walks over to me and hands me one of the mints Louis and I stuck on people, I pop it in my mouth.