Chapter 17- That Sweater Is Not Your Color

I sat on my bed, angrily taking off my nail polish. Walker had walked me back to my room, attempting to start converstaion with me but I was too shocked to respond. It's just not every day that a boy takes me to a magic puddle. Plus I was still waiting for Jean to come for our girls night. Throwing the cotton balls into a garbage bin I decided to start my party without Jean.

Ten minutes later I realized that having party with myself was very boring. I had managed to fling food in all corners of my room and the blankets were no longer in a comfy nest but a tanlged pile of sheets. Snorting in frustration I clicked on the movie and curled up in the pillows.

I was climbing through a cave. The damp and chilly air permeated my thin sweater making goosebumps errupt on my arms. Using my arms I crept along the rocks, but the stagmites were slick with moisutre making it hard to get a grip. In the dim light I carefully, started to make progress, the ground slanting upwards as I went further. Though it was cool, my hands started to grow sweaty from exertiion and stress. I wiped them on my jeans, and contiued onward.

A bubble of sound came towards me. Cocking my head I listened and again there came a faint roar as though a crowd of people were hiding in the rocks. With new purpose I made my way swifty through the cave and came up into a birght and brillinat ballroom. It was filled wiht hundreds of blurry faces all wearing gleaming gowns and suits. Standing next to me was Nathan.

"Ugh, what are you wearing?" He yelled, alerting the partygoers to my prescence. THey all stared at me, whispering behind their hands.

"Well she's not very pretty."

"Doesn't seem like much of a Queen."

"Are we sure it's her? Perhaps there was a mistake"

"That sweater is not her color."

Insults swirled around me and I tried to defend myself but found I couldn't speak, no noise came out.

"Cammie," Caleb was whispering to me. "Cammie we need to send you back home, your nose is all wrong and I simply cannot marry a woman with hair like yours!"

Bewildered and I spun aorund to to see Ethan and Walker laughing at me. I saw more faces. Jean, my foster mom, the Queen, Howard. They all jeered as I sturggled to get up and speak. I clutched at my throat, desperate to talk, to escape.

"Cammie!" I sat staright up, water dripping down my face and into my hair as I spluttered.

"Whoa, were you having a nightmare?" I looked up to see Jean above me, one hand holding an empty glass, the other on her hip. It was only a dream. I looked down at myself, I was in my p.j.s and tangled in the blankets.

"Did you throw water on me?" I demanded to know as I roughly threw aside the pillows I was trapped under.

"No, of course not." SHe said innocently. throwing the cup onto my bed.

"Then why am I wet?" I said indigantly, hands on my hips as drops of water dripped form my hair.

"I don't know myabe you have a drooling problem."

"That's gross!" I objected throwing a pilow at her, but smiled. She giggled and settled onto the bed.

"You totally skipped out on our girls night." I remembered. what on earth were you doing it's not like you know anybody here." JEan fiddled with the hem of her shirt.

"Okau, I am soooo sorry for standing you up but you have to understand!" She said in all seriousness. "Their butler speaks french!"

"Oh. My. Gosh." I said in fake disapointment as I turned to clean up a spcae on the floor.

"This was a once in a lifetime opurtunity Cammie! And he has the coolest uniform with a vest and he carries around a cloth on his arm like they do in the movies!" She was bouncing on the bed in excitement.

"And." Se continued. " He want's to hang out  before I leave!"

"I'm genuinly happy for you Jean but we could toalk about my love life. I'm supposed to pick a husband from four idiots!" I complained, falling onto the bed in disgrace.

"Wait, four?" She asked in confusion, scooching cloaser to me. I lifted my head up, I had forgotten that nobody knew about Walker. Usually I told Jean everything, I hated keeping secrets, but I felt for some reason that I shouldn't tell her.

"I meant three."I answered quickly. "But anways how am I supposed to do this Jean? How am I supposed to marrysomebody when I'm only seventeen! I'm not even a legal adult! And they're all stupid." I said bitterly. I could feel my eyes watering and I angirly wiped away my tears of frustration, embarrased to cry in front of Jean even though she was my best friend.

"Oh, Cammie." SHe murmered comfortingly, draping her arm around me and letting me rest my head on her shoulder. More tears came but Jean didn't seem to mind that I was ruining her shirt.

"Cammie I"m sorry I just got caught up in the royalty. I can't imagine what kind of pressure you're under. But if it makes you feel better you're sure to have hot kids." I pulled away from her and fave her a stony look.

"What? It's true!" She defended her self, throwing her hands up in defense.

"You. Are. So. Superficial!" I said, accentuating eaech word witha hit form the pillow. SHe giggled and grabbed up her own pillow and we enjoyed being teenagers, ignoring the fact that the weight of a country was about to be place on me.