Chapter 11- Pants Queen

Edited version as of 2/16/13

I spent a couple hours in my room, unpacking and settling in. But then Hayden came to tell me that I would be eating dinner with the royal family and the prime minister and his family. He told me dinner was usually a formal affair so I put on a grey straight skirt and a ruffled purple blouse, accentuating with some silver jewelry.  I had assumed Hayden would come up to escort me to dinner but when I opened the door Caleb was standing there, grinning like an idiot in his suit. I grimaced. I wasn't really in the mood to be hit on.

"Why the long face? Dinner will be fantastic." He said, offering his arm to me. I automatically placed my hand on the crook of his arm and he led me downstairs, holding me a bit closer than I thought necessary. I took a deep breath and almost coughed; his cologne smelled nice but was too overwhelming for close contact. I wondered if he had lost some brain cells by being overexposed to cologne.

"So Cammie, I just wanted to say sorry for lying to you. I was just willing to do anything to get you here. I think I would have promised you the moon if you would only come with me." He said, looking at me sideways with pleading eyes, and a pouty lip, which admittedly, made him look very attractive, loosening me up a bit.

"Whatever."

"Cammie, I want to get to know you, to be your friend. I want to learn what things make you laugh and what your favorite color is. I want to buy you flowers to match your eyes!"

I frowned, and moved my hand in a way so there was no weight on Caleb’s arm and leaned away. "My eyes are brown, thats gonna be one nasty flower."

Caleb shook his head in denial and sighed dramatically as he swept me around a corner.

"Your eyes aren't brown. They're copper; they're long polished bronze disks, melted butterscotch and honey." My heart fluttered a little at the praise but I didn't let it get to my head. This guy was just working the angles, I reminded myself. His face looked sincere but his eyes looked forced.

"Do you really want to make me laugh?" I asked quietly, looking up at him with hopeful eyes.

"I do." He breathed, a hint of relief in his tone. I quickly reached down and pulled his pants to the ground, leaving him in his baby blue boxers. Laughing, I sprinted away and down the stairs. I couldn’t believe I’d been so bold; I’d just met the guy yesterday! And he was a prince! I could hear him struggling and calling after me. I raced down the stairs but I could hear him gaining on me. Thrilled at the chase, I laughed giddily and a hope began to grow in my chest. I couldn’t believe I’d been so daring!

Right before I could reach for the double doors he wrapped his arms around my waist and tugged me back so hard we I fell on top of him. It was strange to be on top of him and it was both exciting and scary.

"Thanks for cushioning my fall." I giggled, patting his hair back into place. His sudden wicked grin made me nervous and I crawled back off of him.  Now I didn’t I have a ton of dating experience but I knew enough to scramble off him and straighten my skirt before he got any ideas.

As soon as I stood my ankle suddenly fell out beneath me and I face planted, all the air leaving my body in a small "Oomph". I looked back to see Caleb's hand wrapped around my foot.

"Idiot, I got the wind knocked out of me!" I said half amused, half annoyed, getting to my feet, with a half-smile.

"Are you suggesting that I take your breath away?" He said with a sly smirk. I scowled and threw open the door into the dining hall where all eyes were on me and Caleb. I suddenly realized that my hair was in disarray and I tried to smooth it down awkwardly. No doubt they were all wondering what I could have been doing to get my hair all messed up and worse I was slightly out of breath. I could feel my cheeks heat up under their silent stare.