Chapter 25-Doing the Right Thing

I walked up the field, more confused than ever. The driver was still waiting patiently for me by the shiny black car. He opened the door for me and I slid in wihtout a word.

"I have recieved message that the Prime Minister requests that you to join him in his office." He informed me as he started the car. It took me a second to realized Howard was the Prime Minister, I wasn't used to hearing his formal title.

"Alright then." Maybe he knew more about Emily and the snake. I stared out the window, forcing myself not to think about too much. I had to much to stress about lately. The driver came around and helped me out of the car when we arrived on the far side of the palace where Howards quarters were. I had only been here once but I was pretty confident I knew where his office was.

I went through the side door, feeling a little strange since this was his home and I didn't really knock. but if he had asked me to go to his office I was sure it was fine to walk through. I went through the main parlor, passing some small side hallways that probably led off to the bedrooms. I was turning a corner when I ran into Walker and his mom.  The appeared to be arguing but stopped when they noticed me. I said nothing, I hadn't seen the woman since my welcome dinner and she still looked intimidating with her cold and distant air.

"Cammie! What a surprise!" Walker said taking my arm and leading me down a hall and away from his staring mother. 

"I'm supposed to meet your dad in his office." I explained, wondering what he and his mom had been talking about. Walker had looked angry, it was strange becuase I'd never seen him mad before.

"Well you're going the wrong way his office is this way." He said, leading me down a hall I had passed by.

"What were you and your mom talking about? You looke upset." I said bluntly. I had never been one to beat around the bush. Walker didn't say anything for a minute.

"She thinks I'm wasting my time with you." He mumbled, staring at the ground. I frowned, not liking where this is going.

"What do you mean?"

"It's stupid, my mom is extremely prejiduced." He said, stopping us outside of a large mahogany door." I faced him

"Tell me." He twiddled his thumb nervously.

"Well, The Day of Choosing is only a couple weeks away and then you're going to get engaged." He said quietly. He took a deep breath and met my gaze, piercing me with his sad gaze. "And it won't be to me." I didn't say anything, I was frozen. 

I didn't want to think about it, didn't want to choose right now. I couldn't keep having things piling up on me, I was going to crack. Though Walker looked more broken then me right now, his shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Cammie I like you, a lot. You're exciting, free-spirited and stubborn. I love being with you. I love how you look at me when I do magic. You make me feel important and special. And I've been trying not to hang out with you because it's all just another part of the curse this game that we're forced to repeat...." He gently reached out to  smooth back a peice of hair and trailed his hand down until he was cradling my cheek. 

My heart started pumping out quick stacotta beats and I could feel something filling my limbs, something I could feel from my fingertips to toe, a tingling prescence. 

"I didn't want to get my hopes up but my dad forced me to hang out with you, to try to flirt with you. Although I think we both know I don't really have game." He joked sadly, rubbing his thumb over my cheek. His finger left trails of heat on my skin. I swallowed loudly.

"And then I heard you laugh and I knew it was all over. I knew it was hopeless. Because you have the most beautiful laugh, the lovliest smile. You have your own kind of magic, different than making silly gold trinkets or manipulating the elements." He took a step closer to me and leaned down to whisper in my ear.