Chapter 9- Hi, I'm an Idiot

Edited version as of 2/16/13

The table was set for four with two seats already occupied. A red canopy sheltered them from the sun and a rug protected their Italian leather shoes from the dust of the earth. Caleb jumped up when he saw and pulled out a chair.. Knowing I was being stubborn, but not really caring, I sat down in the other chair. Caleb frowned but didn’t say anything. Nathan smirked. Ethan sat down in the chair Caleb had offered me and looked about expectantly. The table was square so Ethan was to my left, Nathan to right and Caleb right across from me; staring at me. Creeping me out.

“Cammie I think our first meeting was a bit rushed and I’d like to start over”, Caleb started, “Let’s just get to know each other, be friends.” He smiled holding out his hand to me.

“Hi, I’m Caleb.” There was an awkward silence when I didn’t respond or take his hand, I looked over at Nathan who was staring at his brother.

“You sound like an idiot.” Nathan said scowling at the tablecloth, not looking at me.

“Good afternoon your majesties miss.” A waiter said, interrupting our laughter and bowing slightly to the brothers and nodding to me. He whipped a napkin out with a flourish and draped it over my lap, proceeding to do so for the boys too.

“Today we will be having a-“ And that’s when I stopped understanding him because he used a lot of fancy French words. As long as he didn’t say escargot I was fine with whatever. The boys made a couple changes to their individual meals but I just said to serve it however he wanted. The waiter smiled at me in appreciation.

“Just as the chef intended.” He commented and Nathan looked a little annoyed at the accusing tone in his voice. The waiter left, saying he’d bring us some bread and drinks soon. It felt like I was at a restaurant. And I had to keep reminding myself that this was how every meal was for the little brats sitting with me. I noticed Hayden slip in out of the corner of my eye, watching us from the shadows

“So, Cambrea, tell me about yourself.” Caleb said, trying to redeem himself.

“My name is Cammie, I’m seventeen , 5’7” and 125 lbs. I live in Sherwood, Adamar and yesterday I was promised that my best friend, Jean, would accompany me to this…place. Apparently I was lied to.” The table was silent and I wanted to smile at the awkward atmosphere.

“Sucks for you.” Nathan finally said as the waiter brought some rolls and butter. He calmly spread some jam on his bread and took a big bite. I stared at him in outrage my mouth hanging open.

“Nathan!” Caleb exclaimed and Ethan shrunk in his seat, playing with his silverware.

“Just speaking the truth, we knew her friend couldn’t come, it’s illegal.” He said, cool as a cucumber as he sipped his drink and smiled.

“You couldn’t have told me this before?” I asked, indigent. I reached out for my sprite and took a big gulp, commanding myself to be the mature, untouchable person. Nathan shrugged.

“Then we would’ve had to argue and I wouldn’t have made it back in time for sushi with Peter.” I vaguely remembered Peter to be there cousin or family friend.

“Sushi?” I said flatly. Caleb looked uneasily between us both.

“Oh look, Arthur brought us our food.” Ethan said, breaking the tension. I turned to see half a dozen waiters carrying trays and trays of food. No way could we eat all that. A dish was set in front of me and I questioned how hungry I was because I didn’t want to destroy the beautiful work of art in front of me.  A white, spongy block was covered in colorful and foreign fruit with a dressing drizzling down the sides and a forest of greenery surrounding it. I also had a plate of a strange dark meat that smelled spicy and a pale green soup that was dotted with leaves.

“But back to my original conversation, “Caleb said throwing a dirty look to Nathan who just looked bored as he poked at his food. “I want to know more about you Cammie, are you involved in any clubs or sports?”

“I feel like I’m on the bachelorette.” I thought out loud as I looked at the boys.

“Well I guess it is a little like the bachelorette…..” Caleb agreed.” But back to my questions, what’s your favorite color?”

“You would be the moody bad boy.” I said pointing to Nathan then turned to Caleb. “You would be that All-American, charismatic jock and you,” I gestured to Ethan who gave me a small nervous smile. “You would be the sweet, little brother type of guy.” Ethan looked relieved and Caleb a little superior but Nathan was scowling.

“I’m not moody and I’m not very rebellious either.” He insisted. I just shrugged like I didn’t really care, knowing that indifference drove people crazy.

“I’m not!” He said, turning to his brother for confirmation. Caleb just shrugged, grinning at me with delight.

“You know I adore a woman with a sense of humor.” Caleb said, grabbing my hand and trying to get me to stare into his eyes.

“Oh good, then I’m sure you’ll find this very amusing.” I said childishly, throwing a grape at him. They all just stared at me and so I threw another fruit at Caleb and another at Nathan for good measure. Feeling embarrassed I got up and walked up to Arthur

 “Arthur do you think you could show me back to my room, I can’t quite remember my way.” Arthur nodded, looking half amused and half irritated and took my arm as we left the boys, sitting in silence.

We spent the walk back talking about the brothers and I asked if I would get in trouble for throwing food at them

“Oh no, I remember when Tori came here.” He chuckled. “She brought her pet snake with her and scared those poor boys to death. I think one of them even peed their pants.” I laughed with him; glad I wouldn’t be thrown in the dungeon.

“Trust me dear, you could do most anything you wanted too.” He assured me. “Not that you should but you must remember that they expect you to be Queen one day” He said solemnly and patted my arm sympathetically

“Yeah….” I said, suddenly bummed out. We turned into my hallway and Arthur swept me an overdramatic bow, surprising me as he had seemed to serious and uptight

“Until tomorrow, My lady.” He said and, puzzled but pleased, I waved goodbye. I sighed, It was going to be a long couple weeks. I opened my door and almost jumped out of my skin when I realized someone was waiting for me there.