Chapter 19- Short Cut

waved to her until the car was well beyond my sight then lowered it with a sigh. Looking to my right I could see Walker coming towards me in the morning mist.  I froze; I had been avoiding Walker ever since he had taken me to see the pond. The memory felt too intense and deep and I hated feeling like we had some sort of secret place together. No matter how many dates I went on I was still not taking any of them seriously. And being around him….was serious; which is why any time I saw him wondering around the palace I raced in the other direction, occasionally giving him a small wave if he noticed me. But this time he was too close, he knew I had seen him and there was no polite or even a somewhat believable excuse I could make if I ran away from him.

“Hey Walker.” I called out when he was a couple feet away. He gave me an intense stare, continuing to walk until we were only a foot apart.

“Cammie.” The way he said my name held a lot of weight, a feeling of relief, excitement and a slight frustration all communicated in a single word.

“I’ve been trying to see you for the past week but I can never find you.” He said, his mouth turning down, I tried not to notice the way his eyes burned in the morning light, the shadow around his jaw that meant he hadn’t shaven yet. His hands were clasped behind his back and his long coat swirled around him, making him look like a better looking Sherlock Holmes.

“Yeah, I’ve been really busy between classes and…you know.” I was opposed to mentioning my daily outings with the sons in front of him.

“Your dates.” He said dryly, one side of his mouth turning up in a smirk.

“Walk with me will you?” He said then without waiting for a reply, starting heading for the ever present forest. I reluctantly followed him, my usual rebelliousness lost in my curiosity.

“My dad says you’re doing well in training.”

“Hmm, he never tells me that.” I grumbled and Walker smiled down at me the sun shining behind him, making him look light an enlightenment painting.

“He rarely gives praise, preferring the stick to the carrot.” We came onto a familiar path, one I had taken a couple times before with Jean for some early morning runs.

“Huh?” I asked, not understanding his analogy

“It’s an old saying. If you want to get a donkey to do something you either threaten him with punishment-a stick, or encourage him with rewards-a carrot.”

“Are you comparing me to a donkey?” I teased, pretending to scowl. Walker flushed, stumbling over a rock.

“No I didn’t mean to imply-“

“Walker, it’s fine I’m kidding.” I say with a laugh, reaching out to steady him. He looks down at my hand touching him and I quickly pull away, not wanting to give him any ideas. I tucked my hair behind my ear, a nervous habit.

“So tell me about you and the sons. Did you guys play together when you were kids?” I asked quickly, starting up our walk again I carefully stepped over the rock Walker had tripped over, my footsteps knocking up dust.

“Not really, My Dad didn’t really believe in recreation, thought I should spend my time studying.” He said no sign of resentment on his face.

“That sucks.”

“Not really.” He repeated. “I wasn’t a social kid so I didn’t really care and now I know so many things.” He reached his hand out as if he was going to pluck something out of the air and a small flame came out of his finger tip. Manipulating the fire with his hands he arranged until I saw a miniature scene of a man on horseback, galloping around our heads, leaving fiery footprints that faded quickly. As the rider came around again, Walker caught him in his hand, extinguishing it then opening his palm to reveal a hummingbird which pecked at his hand affectionately before taking wing.

Walker watched in silence as it fluttered above us.

“That’s amazing.” I whispered. “You are much better at magic then me.”

“For now. You have much more potential power than me, one day you will surpass me and I will be the one looking on in amazement.” He smiled again, looking at me as if I already was some amazing creature full of magic.

“I should head back before my History teacher has a heart attack, I’m already late.” I felt uncomfortable under his gaze.

“Of course, I’m sorry for keeping you.” He reached out his hand, taking hold of mind and pulled me through the tress until we came out into the sunlight again. I blinked in the sudden brightness.

“Short cut.” He grinned.

Like I said, I'm going to be speed writing this so I can finish it in time for Watty awards so expect lots of updates, probably mulitple times a day. ANd I"m curious, WHose your fav character so far?-Kam