Chapter 12

As I walked out of work the next day, inspecting my freshly dyed hair, I instantly noticed the silver car. It reflected the sun so I held a hand up, shielding the sun from my eyes. Kendall stood there, his hands in his pockets. He looked up, noticing me, and flashed a grin. I gave a slight smile back, wondering what he would be doing here.

"Whatcha doing here, Blondie?" I asked as I walked over. He eyed my hair before answering.

"I wanted to take you somewhere. And nice hair by the way." He told me. He hesitated before smiling. "I like it."

I looked down, grabbing part of the now dark brown, almost red, hair. I had also got it cut a few inches so it came to about half an inch above where my ribs ended. "Yeah, I got tired of being blonde. It's only for a few months before it's a blue and black color." I shrugged, then remembered why he said he was here.

"Where am I going with you?" I asked warily.

"It's a surprise." He winked, opening the door for me. I crossed my arms, raising my eyebrows.

"Stop being clique and just tell me where we're going." I said.

"It's a surprise." He repeated, getting in the car. I sighed, frustrated, getting in and closing the door.

"We can't stay out too late. And we'll have to come back to get Sally." I told him.

"Yeah, whatever Baby Doll." He said, not really paying attention. I glared at him, sighing.

"Why can't I just go-"

"Because you made a bet." He cut me off. I sent him another glare, pulling my earphones out of my pocket. He glanced over, snatching them from me. "Nope, you actually have to talk to me."

"Sorry, I don't talk to boy-banders." I apologized in a sickly sweet (and fake may I add) voice.

"Come on, Sadie. Please?" He asked, looking over at me for a few seconds.

"You basically know everything that's exciting in my life, which is nothing." I told him, trying to get out of talking to him.

"Well then I'll talk, you listen." He said.

"M'kay." I finally said, looking over at him. I listened as he talked about his family, his friends. I found out he had 2 brothers, Kevin and Kurt- no. Something like that. He partially owned a pet pig named Yuma, who he watched for one of his brothers. He had known the guys for 4, almost 5 years. He liked to talk about the guitar and music a lot, too.

"I don't know, I know it's cheesy but music is a way for me to write out my feelings or to help me forget about things. The same way a girl has a diary or sports helps some guys calm down. Music is like my own little panic room, I guess." He said, meaning in his voice. I smiled, actually smiled. No smirk, no grin, no I-don't-like-you-go-jump-off-a-cliff smile, it was a true smile.

"That's cool, Kendork." I smiled. He looked over at me, smiling. His green eyes kind of had a glint in them, the way they do when he's with the guys or playing guitar. I hesitated and he sensed that, looking over at me, glancing at the road every couple of seconds.

"I know I may seem horrible, and mean, and bad, and I like to be sarcastic and insult people.. but I- I'm not all the bad, I promise. I just don't like people and don't like being an underdog. This is really who I am. I'm rude, sarcastic Sadie." I told him truthfully, feeling like a weight was lifted.

"I know, Sadie. You're cool." He smiled at me. I ruffled his hair before hitting him on the back of the head. He shot me a glare but I just grinned. I kicked my feet up, rolling down my window, and resting them on the window sill so they were in front of the rear view mirror. The black laces off my combat boots blew in the wind. I swept my long bangs out of my face, reaching over and turning up the radio.

I frowned when some other boy band came on, switching the song. I kept changing the station, not finding any of the songs pleasing. Finally, I found a good station.

"Took ya long enough." I heard Kendall mutter.

"Shut up, Kendoll." I snapped back, rolling my eyes at him.

"Make me." He shot back. I raised my eyebrows

"You sound like my annoying six year old cousin."

"So?"

"Never mind, now you sound like my whiny 6 year old cousin."

"You're mean." Kendall said, pouting.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I waved it off, glancing at the time. "I want food."

"Then get some."

"I can't when you're driving me somewhere I don't. You could be kidnapping me for all I know. HELP I'M BEING KIDNAPPED! HE-"

"Be quiet! And no one can here you Baby Doll." I rolled my eyes at him, again, pulling out my phone. I texted Bailey back, seeing a new message. As I clicked send, Colton's picture appeared on the screen. I clicked answer, putting it up to my ear.

"Hello?" I answered, pulling a stick of gum out of my pocket. I unwrapped it as he answered.

"Hey, Baby Sis!" Colton answered, dragging out his 'hey'.

"Hey, Big Bro!" I copied him.

"Just checking on ya. Aren't in jail, are you?" He asked, joking.

"God, it was ONE TIME!" I groaned, rolling my eyes at him. Kendall shot me a glance, and looked back to the road. I knew he could hear every word Colton said.

"I know but I will forever hold that against you. So what you up to? No partying, right?"

"No, right now Kendall's taking me somewhere and won't get me food." I frowned as I talked. "Oh, and about partying...we need to plan your party!"

"Sadie, I already told you I didn't want a party!"

"But you're turning 23!"

"So?"

"That's HUGE! Please let me plan it. And I haven't been to any good parties lately. Los Angeles is burning out. They need a Sadie Burns party"

"Fine." He sighed "I gotta go, sis. You're still coming over later, right?"

"Ah, shoot. Sorry, Katie made me promise to go dress shopping with her so I have something decent to wear to her mom's wedding." I sighed, rolling my eyes. Her parent's were divorced and her mom was now getting remarried.

"Oh, okay. I'll call Trent or something."

"Kay, bye."

"Bye." I hung up. As we pulled up to a stop light, Kendall looked over at me, his fingers tapping against the steering wheel.

"You've been to jail?" He asked, a bit nervous if you ask me.

"Not literally! But I was put in a holding cell and Colton had to bail me out. My parents didn't talk to me for 2 weeks." I shrugged.

"Mind me asking why?" He asked, taking a chug from his water bottle.

"Well first, I vandalized the side of the mall with spray paint. My friends, Gina and Leo, we spray paint mural things sometimes. Apparently it's illegal." I rolled my eyes. "But yeah, then I got in a fight with the security guard so..." I trailed off.

"Dang." Kendall muttered, pulling away from the light.

"Yeah, he was stupid anyway, had a good bloody nose." He gave a weird look and I just rolled my eyes, picking at my blue nail polish. After a few moments of awkward silence, I turned the radio up louder. I sang along loudly as the wind pushed my hair back. We pulled into a parking lot that wasn't that filled. I raised my eyebrows as I read the sign.

"A roller skating rink?" I asked him, a dull tone in my voice.

"Yep." He answered, his smile faltering. I didn't say anything else, just got out of the car. He hurried to get out and began walking beside me.

"If this is supposed to be a date, which it is not," I started out, "Then you picked the right place. I only got out of the car because I like rollerskating and, well they have food." I shrugged.

"Okay then." He chuckled. "There's an arcade too."

"Well then I'll have food AND get the chance to beat your butt." I winked, bumping my hip into his. I swung the door open walking in. I could feel a few stares, from which I assumed were because of Kendall being "famous" or whatever you want to call it. We walked up to the counter, a bored looking teenager sitting there.She perked up when she saw Kendall.

"Rollerskating and arcade for the rest of the night, please." Kendall said, handing over his credit card. She swiped the card, handing his receipt over.

"What size?" She asked, standing up.

"11." Kendall answered.

"8 and a half." I told her, resting my hip on the side of the counter. I crossed my arms, glancing around. She handed over the roller skates and I walked over to the benches, Kendall following. I unzipped my boots, pulling them off. I slid on the skates, grabbing my boots and skating over to the counter. I handed them over to her. Her mood was back down and she took them. I waited for Kendall until he skated over.

"You ready?" He asked, looking down at me.

"I'm Sadie Burns, Blondie. 'Course I'm ready." I smirked, grabbing onto his wrist, pulling him onto the rink. I skated faster than him, having went skating with Colton a lot. Kendall trailed a few feet beside me. The black lights made my white shirt glow underneath my jacket. An unknown song came from speakers that sat around the corners. Kendall caught up to me, grinning.

"You're good at this." He said as we rounded a corner. A kid, around 11 or 12, ran into him, making him fall to the ground. I started laughing, grabbing onto the wall to stop myself.

"And you're not." I laughed, looking down at him. He got up, his cheeks tinted red.

"Whatever." He muttered. We skated around for a while, trying to see who could do more tricks or who was faster than the other. Eventually we returned our skates and decided to eat. I moved my feet to rest on my ankles, looking down at my boots.

"I love these things." I sighed, Kendall shooting me a weird look. I stuck my tongue out at him as the waiter set down our food. "Yes!" I grabbed the cheese fries, grabbing a few and shoving them in my mouth. I sighed in content.

"You know, you could eat like a normal person, right?" Kendall asked me, raising an eyebrow.

"You know, you could shut up." I mimicked him. "And you and I both know I'm not that normal." I threw a fry with no cheese at him, hitting him in the face.

"Hey!"

"You deserved it."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Did n- never mind." He gave up, rolling his eyes.

"That's what I thought, Blondie." I smirked, throwing another fry at him. When we finished eating, we headed over to the arcade. We were playing an intense game of air hockey when they sent someone over to ask us to quit yelling at each other.

"Stupid guy." I muttered, as we walked through the arcade.

"Wanna play Skeeball?" He asked, pointing over to games.

"Ooh, yes!" I ran over, putting in a token. Kendall did the same and we began playing. The first I threw failed miserably while Kendall made the 100 points. I continued to do badly as Kendall kept getting higher scores. When I was down to my last 3, I took a breath and cut my act. I rolled the 3, making 1000, 700, and another 1000.

"How..?" He trailed off, looking at my screen. "Winner" flashed across it.

"Magic." I grinned. My phone vibrated and I pulled it out. I had a call from Katie. Her high pitched voice made me flinch as I answered.

"Where are you?! Bailey and I have been waiting here at the mall for half an hour!" She nearly screeched.

"Oops." I simply said.

"That's it?! Get your butt over here to the mall! By the time you get here we will only have an hour!"

"Sorry! I'll have Kendall drop me off." I apologized.

"Wait, Kendall?!" I heard Bailey say at the same time as Katie.

"See ya soon." I hung up, not bothering to answering the question. Kendall looked at me questioningly. "I gotta go. I have to go dress shopping." I rolled my eyes, groaning.

"Oh okay." He said, his eyes flickering to the ground. "Let's go." We walked out to his car and got in.

"That was fun." I said, shutting my door.

"Yeah, it was." He replied, pulling out off the parking space. We were at the mall in a matter of 10 minutes. I got out, an angry looking Bailey and Katie looking at me.

"Bye, Sadie." He called, looking up at me from down in his car.

"Bye, Blondie." I answered, pausing before adding, "Text me later." and shutting the door.

.

"No. No. No. No. N-"

"Shut up!" Bailey and Katie screamed simultaneously. I glared at them. They were trying to get me to buy this ridiculous dress they made me try on. It was red with black lace over top. It was strapless and was tight enough for my liking but I just didn't want a dress.

"N-"

"Yes!" They yelled at me again. I'm sure the other people in the dressing room probably thought we were crazy.

"I don't want a dress and as much as I love your mom I'd rather just sit at home-" I started telling

"Sadie Madeline my mother is basically your mother! If you don't show up at her wedding she'll have your butt hanging on her wall- mine too!" Katie scolded. Exactly like her mother.

"Fine." I groaned. I glanced in the mirror, looking at the dress.

"But do I have to get this dress?" I whined, looking between them.

"I think you look great. You need to get it!" Bailey tried convincing me. I took one look in the mirror and turned back to them.

"Okay." I mumbled, unzipping it. They cheered as I redressed, shrugging my leather jacket on my shoulders. "Now, I'm going home."

"But wait, we need shoes!" Katie said excitedly.

"You mean you need shoes. I have a pair." I pointed out, raising my eyebrows.

"But we're your ride home." Bailey but in, smirking defiantly.

"Yeah, I'll be at another store. Call me when you're done." They sighed, defeated as I left them in the dressing room. I walked through the mall, getting the occasional stares. I was used to it. Leather jacket, combat boots, dark make up? I was noticeable alright. I stuck out from these people of Los Angeles like a chihuahua with a pack of bull dogs.

I ended up at the food court and got a soda and some fries. I sat alone at a table, in the corner. As I ate my fries my phone buzzed. I took it out of my pocket, clicking the home button. I had a new text. I swiped it to unlock it and read the message.

From Blondie- Hey there Baby Doll

To Blondie- Don't call me that, Blondie.

Don't call me Blondie then.

We've been over this, Kendork. You are Blondie and nothing will change that. I'm NOT a Baby Doll.

Fine then, what's up?

Waiting for Katie and Bailey. They take forever -_-

Cool.

Really, that's all you're gonna say? Try and keep an actual conversation with me or I might just not talk to you.

I put my phone away, throwing the rest of my fries away. They didn't have enough salt and tasted old. I sipped my Dr. Pepper, walking down towards where the street performers normally were. There was a small crowd as 2 guys break danced. I watched before my phone buzzed.

Katie's Mom's wedding is next weekend, right?

Yeah, how'd you know?

She told me.

I'm happy for her mom but I don't like weddings. The first wedding I ever went to was crashed and this person threw red punch all over the bride, kissed the groom, and dumped over the table with the cake :( I wanted that cake!

Oh wow ya know it's not like it was a wedding or anything.

It was red velvet, okay?!

Yeah, yeah, whatever you say...

Shut up.

Make me.

Loser.

Dumby.

Idiot.

Baby Doll.

Blondie.

Okay I give up.

I win :P

Whatever.. there's something I wanted to ask you.

..well, what is it?

"Whatcha doing?!" Bailey screamed in my ear, making me jump, I hit her arm, glaring at her.

"What she said!" Katie yelled too.

"God, could you guys speak louder? You're so quiet." I muttered sarcastically. "Can we go now?"

"Ah huh! We got shoes!" They held up their bags smiles on their faces. I rolled my eyes walking towards the exit. We got in the car, me in the passenger seat. It only took a few shoves and threats to get Katie to move.

I pulled my phone back out, looking at Kendall's message, my eyes widening.

I love you!1!

I went to reply when another message came up.

God, I'm so sorry! Logan took my phone!! -_-

I raised my eyebrows, I small smile on my face.

Whatever you say, Lover Boy.

Ahhh finally a chapter! And this was really, long along with some Kadie going on :) I don't know when the next update will be, probably not for a while.

But I have a bunch of ideas, just need to get them into chapter. Wahhh, I have stitiches in my face. I had a mole removed so I have stiches by nose so I had no school today!! Yay!

I hope you liked it and please comment and vote if ya did!