Chapter 11

"I used to have a friend, Max. He was my best friend with the brightest blue eyes." I smiled softly at the memory of him. "We hung out quite a lot and always at 8 o'clock on Saturdays, he'd have to leave. Being the overprotective best friend I was, I followed him. I followed him down the road to here."
Kendall's eyes were glued to me.

"I follow him into one of the rooms, hiding behind a weight set. I had no idea what was happening. That was when Phillip walked in. He was the lead guy from yesterday. He was confirming the bet. They would fight and whoever won got ten thousand dollars." I sighed, biting the inside of my cheek before continuing. "Max hadn't known I followed him. I knocked over the weights and he found me. He was mad at me for following him, I'd never seen him so angry." I took a shaky breath, thinking back to that night. "He told me to leave and don't tell anyone. I acted as though I left but snuck back in to see the fight. When it started, Max was doing..amazing. I had never known he could do this." I took a pause, Kendall's intent eyes never leaving mine.

"In the last round the referee had to pull Phillip back. The round was over, Phillip had won. I was bummed but when I didn't see Max get up I started to worry. People were yelling and I couldn't see very well. As soon I saw him I raced towards him." I paused, looking at Kendall.

"Can you imagine what it would feel like to see your best friend beaten into a bloody mess?" I asked in a shaky voice. "Right over there actually." I said sadly pointing to the old boxing ring. "Your heart snaps in two and the only thing you think is 'This is my fault. I could've saved him.' If I would've told him not to, he'd be by my side right now."

"It's not your fault." Kendall tried telling me. Ignoring him, I continued.

"He was rushed to the hospital and by the time his parents got there, he was already in a coma. His parents, the ones that I thought of a my own, wouldn't even look me in the eye but they sure had a time screaming at me for it." I sighed once again, biting harder on my cheek. A week later, I was the only one with him that day. He woke up."

"Madeline?" Max asked in a weak voice.

"Yeah, Max?"

"I'm sorry for not telling you I shouldn't have fought. I-It's just that I wanted to be able to move out, or maybe we could travel the world."

"Oh." Was all I answered. He really was the best friend anyone could ask for.

"Listen, I want you to know you're the best friend anyone could ask for, okay? I love you no matter what. My parents t-they-" He was cut off by his mom walking in, shooting a glare in my direction.

"Sadie, may I please talk to Max alone?" She asked timidly.

"I love you too." I whispered to him. As I went to stand up Max sat up grabbing onto my arms. He pressed his lips to mine, ours lips molding together. "Promise me you'll find me again." He whispered so only I could hear.

"Find you?"

"Uhm." Max's mom cleared her throat.

"Good bye." He whispered.

We didn't love each other in a romantic way, more as best friends. The kiss was just a way for him to say bye. Madeline was what he called me because he said I looked like a Madeline. He wanted to call me something different.

"Sadie? Sadie?" Kendall was saying. I looked at him.

"I promised I would come back the next day. And I did. But when I did, he wasn't there. I went to his house and they didn't answer. On the door was a note. They were moving and I couldn't speak to him ever again."

"So, he's just, gone?"

"Physically? Yeah." I answered, yawning. I took out my phone. "Good god it's 12 already."

"So?" He asked, not seeing the point.

"It's means I have to work tomorrow, Blondie. And that you get to learn about Phillips and his stupid friends tomorrow." As I went to stand up he pushed my shoulders making me sit down.

"There is no way I'm going to let you just stop it there. Who are they?" He told me, sitting back down.

"This isn't a sob story, god." I rolled my eyes but continued anyway. "Long story short, Max never gave Phillip the money and I had to give it to him myself. He left and I never saw Max again. I got over it, my life's doing good. Now he's back and wants money that I don't have." I sighed, standing up.

"Is that it?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Oh wait, I also became an undercover spy and was kidnapped by a crazy ex-boyfriend because I'm friends with someone famous." I added sarcastically.

"We're friends?" He asked smiling slightly.

"I was talking about James you idiot." I told him, hitting his arm.

"Oh." He said, looking down.

"I made that up you idiot."

"Stop calling me an idiot!"

"Would you prefer dumb-"

"No thank you." He cut me off, shaking his head.

"Well Phillip is out of money and wants more." I told him, standing up. I stretched, letting out a sigh as I pulled my arms back down.

"How much does he want?" 

"Doesn't matter and before you judge me, yes I have to give money to a complete stranger."

"Turn him in to the police!" Kendall protested. I turned to him, giving him a glare.

"It's not that easy, Blondie. If I do he'd hurt y- Colton." 

"Oh." He frowned, keeping quiet. Kendall followed as we left the dark warehouse. I was lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice we had reached my Jeep until I walked into it. I jumped in, starting the car. Both Kendall and I were silent, expect when he gave me the directions to his house. I pulled into the driveway and Kendall got out. He turned around at the last second, looking at me.

"You seem like a strong girl, Sadie. Thanks for telling me, by the way." He said, smiling slightly, before leaving. I backed up, driving back to the apartment. Something caught me out of the corner of me eye. I turned slightly to see light green paper on the passenger seat. I grabbed it, unfolding the bills. My eyes widened as I counted it. 

One thousand dollars.

That was at least one-third of what I had to give to Phillip and I had just enough in the bank to get by for a few weeks.

.

The next morning, I was up at 8, at the bank by 9. I got the money, putting it in an envelope. I pulled out my phone, writing Phillip's address down. I dropped it off at the post office and it felt like a weight was lifted off my chest. I was done with him, now I just had more than 40 days to deal with four idiots.

Before you say anything, she was supposed to get the money that fast. It was only a small conflict that moved the story along, and no, Phillip is not gonna come back and kidnap her like in every other fanficiton I wrote. *rolls eyes*

Well, I'm updating just cuz I wanted to be nice and get this chapter over with. Minor writers block is in order cuz one of my friends *cough @YouCelebrateIElevate cough* read through the plans I had for this so I have to come up with new ones.

On another note, sorry. This was short and badly written and I only used spell check because I'm lazy. Until next time, Wattpaders- ilove4dorks