The Child

Gustaves point of view

"I cant believe you let him on the boat!" The captain yelled at those who were in charge of loading.

The crew was flabergasted.

"All due respect sir, but he paid... making him a legal passenger. Were we to turn him away during these times?" One crewmate said. His nametag displayed the name Mitch, but who knows if it was correct.

"Grassi! How dare you lie for the insubordinate?!" The captain yelled.

"Captain. The child paid. In fact, he payed on an experienced travel account. The Destler account, sir." Another said. His nametag displayed Scott.

"Hoying?! You lie as well?! Are any crew mates loyal?!"

A female stepped forward.

"Alas, a scullery maid is loyal. Do tell, Maldonado!" The captain boomed.

"S-sir... the child in question in monsier Gustave Destler. Christine and Erik's son." Her name was embroidered on her sleeve, as Kirstie.

A black man with the name of Kevin on his cap stepped up. "His father traveled a short time ago. He must have missed the ship, and is catching up." He reasoned.

"May i remind you, sir, of Masked? A major share holder?" Avi was the name on the nametag of this man.

"I am Captain Koop! I will not allow lies on my vessel!" The captain roared.

"Darien! How dare you continue to dishonour the boy and your crew! They speak truth!" A lady yelled.

"My apoligies, Esther. You as well, child." He said, before stomping off.

The crew all looked to me, a crying ball on the deck.

The small female ran over to me, and the others flocked her.

"I am so sorry about the captain, young one. He has... issues," she said, as she wrapped my small body in a hug, just like my Mama used to.

The larger female clicked her tounge. "Well, well. What do we have here? A stowaway? A theif? I wont tell Darien." She said, temptingly.

"Nothing of the sorts, sister. Just a well mannered, well paying, beautiful young man. Darien must be in a bad mood, hes been snapping at us all day." The bearded male said.

The tall blonde male must have noticed my confusion, because he introduced himself. "G'day, monsiour. My name is Scott Hoying. I am one of the shiphands. I do pretty much anything."

The petite male shook his outrageously bright violet hair out of his eyes. Quirky, and I liked it. "My name is Mitchell Grassi. I go by Mitch. Im a cleaner."

The petite blonde lady spoke up next. She had let me go around the time that she had spoken poorly to the Captain's wife.  She curtseyed before speaking. "My name is Kirstin Maldonado. I go by Kirstie. Im a scullery maid."

The dark skinned man stepped forward, a crinkle at the corner of his eyes. "Im Kevin Olusola. I fix stuff."

Everyone laughed at his plain explaination.

The bearded man shived Kevin gently aside, and approached me. "Hi, im Avriel Kaplan. Just call me Avi. Im a cook."

The wife turned to me, her long brown hair swaying with the movement. "Im Esther Koop née Kaplan. Im Avis sister, and the Captains wife. And i daresay, you are welcome on this vessel."

"Thank you," i said, dropping my head to my superiors.

"Gustave... may I ask why you're on this boat?" A voice from behind me called out.

I spun around to face a blonde that i knew very well...

"Meg?! What are you doing here?!" I cried out.

Her face fell. "I work here, of course. Why are you?"

"Im going to find Papa. And Patricia. But it is lovely to see you."

She smiled. "Thank you, Gustave. Ill see to it so that the Captain will leave you alone. Everyone else, he requests your prescense."

With that, she spun around ballarina style, and went away.

Everyone else bid me farewell, and then followed.

It took a while, but when we finally landed in America, I caught the first carriage I could, and headed to the Opera House. No doubt, they would naturally go there.

I was going to find my Papa. And I was going to find Patricia. Because I cant do this anymore.