Chapter Twenty One

Riley’s POV

          As soon as Finn saw Nate I knew something was wrong, but I had no idea what. He tensed up completely and when I squeezed his hand, he didn’t react, instead just kept his gaze firmly on the tall, dark haired man. The resemblance between them was uncanny, especially as they stared at eachother with matching gobsmacked expressions.

“Finn” I whispered quietly, finally getting his attention and he turned to look at me, taking in my confused expression but his face broke out into a wide grin as soon as he set eyes on me properly.

“Mrs Evans.” He smirked, kissing my forehead tenderly, the husky note in his voice giving away just how much he liked the sound of my new name. “I’m holding on to you forever!” He whispered, in my ear, tucking a dark strand of hair behind my ear as his hand trailed across my cheek. I decided to drop the whole thing with him and Nate for now; I had a feeling it was something bad, and this day was something I wanted to remember for good reasons only. He would explain sometime, but for now, I was just going to love my husband.

“I love you.” I mumbled back. Suddenly I was tumbling forward, only being saved from faceplanting by Finn’s strong arms wrapping around my waist to steady me. I turned around, glaring at Logan who was already wearing his typical ‘I did nothing’ expression; I knew it well. “Hm, I wonder who that could have been?” I rolled my eyes at him, while Finn punched his arm playfully.

“Congrats baby girl!” he squealed in a falsetto voice, lifting me off my feet in a tight bear hug as he spun me around laughing.

“Ow Logan, do you hate my lungs or something?” I tried to complain but it was spoiled a little by my giggling.

“Oi, don’t murder my wife!” I heard Finn’s voice from behind me and couldn’t help the excited thrill that ran through me at his calling me ‘wife’. Logan set me on my feet again but I was immediately swept into Landon’s solid arms.

“Congratulations Riley, thanks for letting me come. You look beautiful.” His eyes sparkled with an intensity I used to be oblivious to and it scared me now I knew what it was. Even so, I shot him a smile and replied with a simple “Thankyou.” Then I was passed on to Brogan and Matt. Everyone embraced me tightly, wishing me well and I couldn’t have wiped the broad smile off my face for anything. When people talk about their wedding day being the happiest day of their life I always thought they were lying, but now I understood. Nothing could even come close to beating this day for me, because Finn was mine, and I was his. And nothing could ever change that. Finally Matt let go of me and I turned around, expecting Danny to be right there, the way he always was, but instead I saw his back retreating out of the door at the back of the chapel and my heart sunk. I grabbed Finn’s hand and pulled him close to me, whispering in his ear where I was going and he just smiled a little sadly and bid me off. Then I was running, chasing after my best friend in the whole world.

           “Danny?” I called, my voice echoing off the walls of the dark corridor. It was eerie in here alone with all the lights off but I couldn’t find the switch and I could hear faint voices coming from the room at the end. I walked quietly towards it, ignoring how the hairs on the back of my neck prickled with every step I took.

“…So I take it…married…didn’t stop…” A high, girlish voice was saying but I couldn’t make out the words. Taking another step closer, I pressed my ear against the wood of the door, finally making out every word they were saying.

“Yeah, they’re married. I couldn’t stop it, she needs him and I refuse to hurt her.” The sound of fist on flesh interrupted Danny’s voice and I flinched, hoping that I’d imagined it.

“You stupid boy! You luuurrve her do you.” The girl’s voice taunted and I hated her for teasing him about it. He deserved so much better than that.

“You’re a bitch.” He hissed, “I’m not going to sabotage my best friend, I don’t care what you do to me!” His voice was hard and my stomach turned sickeningly; would these people hurt him? And why didn’t they want me marrying Finn?

“I know you don’t, but you’ve just handed us your Achilles heel on a plate.” The girl laughed and I could almost feel Danny’s confusion, it matched ours. “You and I are very similar.”

“I’m nothing like you.” Danny spat and I could hear the venom and disgust in his voice, even though it was quiet.

“I beg to disagree, you would do anything for someone you love, even if means hurting someone else. I would do anything for Finn, even if it involves murder. We were meant to be together and your stupid bitch of a friend is standing in my way!” The girl was finally making sense and I felt a sickening wave of nausea rock me as her intentions became clear, making the puzzle pieces start to fit together in my head. The last one slotted into place, just as my suspicions were confirmed with two new voices, both eerily familiar.

“It’s time to choose Mr. Anderson. The girl you love… or your brother.” My father’s voice held a hint of amusement and I felt sick. Mikey’s whimpering sent me over the edge and I kicked the door wide open, anger racing through my veins.

“You must be Lucy.”