Holding On Forever...Part Nine

I don’t know how long we sat there, in eachother’s arms while my best friend hid in the kitchen, most likely eavesdropping. Eventually we both stopped crying, but it wasn’t an easy feat. I’d never seen him look so…vulnerable, even that day in the parking lot, it scared me more than I’d ever let on. I didn’t know if I should be forgiving him so easily for breaking my heart - even though I was more than partially to blame – but I never had a choice. I loved him. There was nothing more to do or so, nothing could ever overrule that.

“How did we almost let it go?” I whispered into his shoulder, not sure if he heard me, since he didn’t respond immediately.

“Because we’re both fools. But never again my love, I promise.” Things weren’t perfect, in fact they were far from it, but I’d take that any day if it meant I could keep this one moment.

“We need to talk about this all. No more accusations or arguments, just talk it through so we can move past it.” I told him, looking into his crystalline eyes, filled with tears.

“I agree, but can we leave it for now, I don’t want to ruin this.” He raised our intertwined fingers with a small smile and I nodded.

“Of course.” I leaned forwards and kissed his lips again, so softly it felt like a whisper, but it set every nerve in my body on fire.

“I love you.” He breathed, his warm breath washing over my skin, making me smile onto his lips.

“I love you too.”

                  “So you just forgave him… just like that?” Brogan sounded gobsmacked, even through the crackling phone line.

“Yeah, I guess I did.” I shrugged, giggling at the sounds of exasperation she was blowing into the receiver on her end. “Don’t act like that babe, I couldn’t do anything else.” I pleaded, I really hoped that she understood, but somehow I don’t think she did.

“I love you babe, you know that, and as your best friend I’ve earned the right to tell you that I think you’re an idiot, you totally had the advantage and you didn’t even make him get on his knees.” She sighed exasperatedly and I chuckled, glad she wasn’t mad at me, because her twin sure as hell was. Even though he’d been the one (with the help of Danny) who’d gone to find Finn and bring him to me, apparently he’d been sleeping on the floor by Danny’s sofa since Tuesday, I think he expected me to give him a tough time. What no-one seemed to realise was that I was in the wrong too! Sure, he had been wrong to say a lot of the stuff he did, but I’d been wrong about a lot too, and every harsh word that passed his lips had a basis in the truth, as much as I wished it didn’t. I was far from innocent here, and I just wished that other people could see that.

“He just looked so…broken, I can’t bear to see him hurting, and you know that better than anyone, surely?” I said in a quieted voice, almost as though it were a secret as I laid back on my bed, trying to stem the disturbing flow of memories that tried to flood my mind. I wouldn’t let myself dwell on them. I couldn’t.

“You’re too good a person Riley.” She sighed, and I could picture her shaking her head sadly.

“Nah, I’m just a fool in love.” I shrugged. “Speaking of being in love, how’s everything going with Matt?” I tried to be subtle in my change of subject, and it may not have been as smooth as I’d like it to be, but she still fell for it. Hook, Line and Sinker.

“It’s so good Riley,” She squealed happily, making me smile as I clamped the phone between my cheek and shoulder. “We went last night and he bought me a necklace, when I asked why, he said, and I quote ‘I don’t want to have to have a reason to buy you things, I wanted to get you this because I knew that it would look perfect on you.’ He’s so sweet Riley, I can’t believe it. I’m falling so hard for him.” It was difficult not to be happy for them, even when I was in my depressed ‘I-got-suspended-for-kissing-my-teacher-who-then-broke-up-with-me-and-left-me-heartbroken’ state. They were still Matt and Brogan, but now they were together, they were more than just that. They were definitely one of those couples who are better together.

“Aw, you guys are so cute! We should so double date, or get Logan to find himself a girl and we can triple date; hell, he can even bring Danny along if he wants to.” I laughed, Brogan I could tell was grinning at the other end of the line.

“That’s a brilliant idea. As soon as you’re better we’re going out, me and Matt and you and Finn. We’ll go for dinner or something.” She giggled excitedly and I just knew she was jumping on her bed; she was such a child.

“Brogan, please stop bouncing before you break something!” I laughed playfully.

“Anyway, I’ve got to go babe, but keep me posted on you’re whole Evans thing, and I’ll see you soon. Love you babes!” She hung up before I could even say goodbye.

                    It was dark when I woke up, sweat trickling down the side of my face as I sat bolt upright in the bed. Was that a floorboard creaking I heard? What about that tapping noise? Was someone in the house? All of this flashed through my mind as I sat shaking in the bed, terrified after my nightmare. I thought I was gradually getting past the flashbacks to those few weeks I spent kidnapped, but they were just intensifying now that my drama with Finn and Jeremy was over.

“Riley?” His husky voice croaked, and even in my panicked state, my heart still managed to miss a beat just at the sound of his voice. “What’s wrong?” His arms snaked around my waist, and instead of pushing him away the way I did the last time we were in this situation, I let him pull my back to his chest so I was sitting between his bare legs.

“Nightmare, Can you hear anything?” I whispered, hushing him as we both strained to hear any inexplicable noises. Silence met my ears, but even so, I couldn’t shake the feeling that had the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end, the feeling that we weren’t alone in this house. It was almost too quiet.

“There’s nothing there Riley, I promise you, you’re safe.” He soothed after a few minutes of us just listening. Even as I lay down, I still couldn’t calm myself enough to get to sleep. I simply snuggled into Finn’s chest and listened to his steady, comforting heartbeats.