Holding On Forever...

Okay guys, so here's the sequel to 'Don't Let Go'. I know a lot of you have had questions about what happened at the end of the last book, and I know I've not answered them, but I'm hoping everything will become clear in this story. By the way, the title isn't permenant, so if you have any suggestions of what this one could be named, I'll be glad to hear them :) Read, Vote, Comment! I hope you enjoy it!

                  I screamed as the tall man stepped closer. I could only see his silhouette, but it was a silhouette I recognised easily. My cheekbone already throbbed painfully, feeling as though it was broken, and I couldn’t take another hit to it without losing consciousness, especially since I hadn’t eaten in the past two days. I refused to cry though, forcing the tears that rose in my eyes and clamping my lips shut. It was easier if I didn’t show him how he really made me feel. Suddenly he lunged forwards and there was a tearing feeling across my scalp as his hand grabbed my hair, followed moments later by his fist colliding with my face. Darkness swallowed me instantly, the pain fading into temporary nothingness.

I sat up in the bed, eyes wide with terror as I scanned the dark room around me. When I saw no-one hiding in the corners or standing over me, I let out a heavy sigh of relief.

“You’re safe Riley,” I whispered to myself “He can’t get you now.” Suddenly, two warm arms wrapped around my waist from behind, making me jump slightly. He obviously felt my body stiffen because he started murmuring comforts in my ear, the sound of his sweet voice making me relax instantaneously. I melted backwards into his arms, trying to get rid of the images that had flashed before my eyes just moments before.

“Riley?” He asked, his voice thick with sleep and I turned to see the clock beside the bed flashing the time; 03:26.

“Sorry babe, I didn’t mean to wake you. Go back to sleep.” I turned on the bed, swinging my legs over the edge, despite the cold air that nipped at my legs.

“Riley,” He was sitting up now, his arms becoming restraints as he prevented me from standing up. “You’ve done this every night this week, please let me in. I don’t care if you’re waking me up; I’d stay up all night just so you felt safe, but I can’t stand it if you shut me out. If you don’t want to be around me, just say… I’ll… I’ll understand.” He pleaded, almost whispering as he finished, and I felt tears spring to my eyes; I knew I’d been pushing him away, but I hadn’t thought about how it was affecting him. I was simply struggling trying to keep myself in one piece. I could feel him waiting for me to reply, and I turned in his arms, my face simply inches from him. His eyes were glazed with tears, telling me without words that he loved me, but he was hurting. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came; I wasn’t ready to tell him yet, maybe tomorrow, or the day after, but right now I had nothing to say. Instead I pulled myself out of his arms, standing up and smiling down at him sadly as disappointment masked his features.

“I’m sorry.” I told him, putting as much meaning as I could behind the two words. Two words said so often, usually in such a flippant tone, but I really meant them, with everything I was. I turned around, away from his crumple, pain ridden face, and walked out of the room without looking behind me.

                    It was strange walking into school after the past two months I’d had, maybe it wasn’t entirely healthy to be back so soon, as I’d been told by just about everyone under the sun, but I didn’t want anyone to look at me any differently. I guess it was kind of a stupid hope, considering the police had been following all leads to find me; which included interrogating a majority of the school.