Holding On Forever...Part Four

“Anything Riley? What’s up?” He said seriously, his gaze burning into my eyes as I tried to keep my anger in check, as well as stopping the tears that rose to my eyes. He obviously saw the torn expression on my face, raising a hand to stroke the soft skin of my cheek with a sad smile.

“They’re taking my kids away.” I sniffed, looking away from him because I didn’t want to see his reaction. It didn’t stop me hearing his shocked gasp though.

“How? Why?” He whispered, grabbing my hand in his and pulling me slightly close, so I was moulded to his firm body. My heart fluttered slightly in my chest at his proximity and I breathed his familiar scent in deeply, trying to calm myself down.

“Landon called Aunt Jasmine, Jeremy found out this morning about Finn and I and told the principal, I got us out of it, but Landon called my aunt and told her. She rang me up saying that I was an unfit parent and I obviously didn’t even care about them because I hadn’t been to see them in two months.” I sniffed, my voice was hard and steely as I spoke about Landon; I never knew it was possible to hate someone as much as I did him. What was worse was that I knew he still had the power to make me forgive him, if he turned around and actually apologised, I would be putty in his masterful hands once more. “He’s still out to get me for breaking up with him, before the whole Dad thing he tried to trick me into forgiving him, and I did, but then I overheard him talking to the slut he knocked up.” I spat the words out furiously. “He used me, he lied to me, and now he’s trying to make me lose my kids.” I growled furiously, bunching my hands into fists as I buried my face in Danny’s strong chest as he held me close. I couldn’t breathe properly and I squeezed my eyes shut against the angry tears that pooled in them. He rubbed soothing circles into my back and whispered comforting words in my ear as I tried to calm my body that was trembling with rage.

“Shh Riley love,” He breathed, planting a kiss on my forehead. I nuzzled further into his warm body, letting him hold me. “Did you say Jeremy told the principal?” He asked quietly and my eyes widened. Shit! Jeremy was his cousin, I’d never meant to involve Jeremy, I didn’t want to put him in that position. I sighed heavily; knowing I’d made a massive mistake, and nodded into his arms. He sucked in a breath and his arms tightened around me, tensing. “I’ll kill him; I don’t care if he’s my cousin, I’ll kill him for hurting you!” He hissed, holding me impossibly close as he took on some of my anger. He pulled me up into a sitting position, so I was curled tight in his arms and he held me close.

“Love you Danny.” I whispered, almost hoping that he didn’t hear. If he did, then he didn’t respond other than his arms tightening slightly around me.

“I’m always here for you Riley.” He murmured, kissing my hair again as we stood up off the bed and left the room, my hand curled tightly in his.

                     “Jasmine? It’s Riley; can I speak to Brooklyn please?” I asked, my tone was icy and it took all I had not to start screaming at her down the phone. What right did she have to tell me I was an irresponsible parent for trying to save my kids from their father who may or may not have wanted to kill them? I looked up at Finn hopelessly as all I got was her heavy breathing on the other end of the line. He smiled sadly at me, running his fingers tenderly through my hair as he pushed it back away from his face. I melted slightly into his hand and let out an inaudible sigh.

“I’m not letting you speak to any of them. Goodbye” Jasmine retorted, finally, making my blood boil in anger. I slammed my fist against the doorframe as I heard the click to indicate she’d hung up and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to prevent the tears from falling. It didn’t work. Within seconds I felt two strong arms slide around my waist and pull me back into a strong chest. I froze for a moment, before I melted into his embrace, tipping my head back so it rested in the hollow between his neck and shoulder.