Holding On Forever...Part Thirteen

Riley’s POV

            I sighed heavily as I walked into the school building, Matt right by my side and Danny waving madly at me from the parking lot. I know they both thought I should take the day off, but I’d missed so much school in the past year and I needed to see Finn, I needed to know he was okay, even if it would hurt like a bitch. There was a tense silence between us, and even though I knew Matt wanted to talk to me, I was grateful that he held off. We turned into the corridor leading to my homeroom and came to an abrupt halt. There, in all his dark-haired glory, was Finn. I groaned inwardly as I took in how perfect he looked, even with the dark circles under his eyes and the haunted look in them.

“Fi-Mr Evans…” I trailed off, looking at the ground as he turned towards me. I couldn’t look him in the eye, not after what I’d said yesterday. “What are you doing?” I almost whispered, intently studying the pattern of the worn carpet as I heard his footsteps getting closer. Suddenly there were a pair of shiny black shoes in my line of vision and I felt my heart skip a beat; he was so close to me.

“I want you back Riley; I need you back.” He started, placing a finger softly under my chin and tilting my head up to look in his beautiful, beautiful eyes. I couldn’t avoid looking at him, breathing in his scintillating scent. I couldn’t help but love him. Matt seemed to sense my weakness of resolve and grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from him.

“Finn, we’re in school and we need to get to homeroom. See you in class.” He told him curtly, a steely shade to his otherwise calm voice. With that, he towed me down the corridor until we were safely shut inside our homeroom with another three lessons before I had to face him again. I could do this, I didn’t have a choice.

                I was walking down the sidewalk, my eyes turned down and my headphones in. I know that Matt and Danny were apprehensive to say the least of my being alone, especially if my dad was around, but I needed the time to myself so I could think. Seeing Finn today had been harder than I’d ever imagined it could be, but in some ways that was good, I mean, it could only get easier, right? I hoped my logic was correct here; otherwise I was really going to be screwed by the end of the week.

“Oof!” I stumbled backwards after colliding with something that felt like a brick wall but a pair of long arms found their way around my waist, steadying me. Once I’d regained my balance, I looked up into the face of the guy I’d walked into, apology on the tip of my tongue. “I-“

“I’m so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention and then there you were. Are you okay?” He beat me to the punch, scanning me up and down to check for injury. I smiled slightly,

“I’m fine, honestly, I was listening to music, I should’ve been paying attention. It’s entirely my fault.” He was already shaking his head before I’d finished speaking.

“No, I refuse to let you take the blame. It’s my fault, I was listening to music too, but I should be a chivalrous gentleman to the pretty lady.” He smirked and I actually laughed at the way he puffed out his chest in a ‘manly’ way.

“Let’s just agree to disagree then.” I chuckled, taking a moment to actually look at him, as he did me. He was tall, probably a few inches above six foot, and had dark hair, cut into a shaggy style that suited him perfectly. He had a strong jaw, lined with stubble and had almost mystical grey/blue eyes. He was really good looking, and his outfit of all black suited him perfectly. Even being hung up as I was on Finn, I could appreciate how hot this guy was, although maybe I thought that because he looked a little similar. He smirked at me, amusement dancing in his stunning eyes.