Dangerous to the end

Author’s note : I couldn’t be cruel and make you wait. Enjoy!

Chapter 36

(Dangerous to the end)

Rain poured down on Callista as she struggled through the Labyrinth. She’d long since stopped counting the amount of trees, stone walls, and other things she’d been thrown in. Her muscles were extremely sore, she was tired and bleeding. Her body begged her to stop torturing it but Callista refused to cave in. She’d started this challenge and win or lose she would finish it.

Thunder rolled through the air so loudly it was hard to hear anything. Even the sound of the raining beating down on the Labyrinth was drowned out at times. The blonde woman trudged through the two feet of water that now seemed to be everywhere in the Labyrinth. As Callista looked around at her muddy surroundings she sighed. The young woman  knew nothing about the Queen’s Challenge other than the consequences if she failed and that she had to make it to the castle in time to win. The blue eyed girl couldn’t be sure if this was part of the Labyrinth’s challenge or if something else was happening.

She looked at the green and purple clouds above her. Knowing very little about magic she didn’t know if the Labyrinth had created them or someone else. The only thing Callista knew for certain was they weren’t normally there.

“Ahh!” She screamed narrowly avoiding a lightning strike that hit a nearby tree. Unfortunately dodging the lightening caused her to fall and she fell into two feet of muddy water. Callista  coughed as she pulled herself back up to her feet; she spit mud and dirty water out of her mouth.

“I am so going to need a shower after this.” It was then she heard a hiss from not far away. Callista looked up and her eyes went wide. Less than 100 feet away was an enormous snake. It was purple and black with red eyes. ‘Oh shit!’ Callista had never seen such a big snake in her life. It wasn’t the size of a large python. No, this was much bigger. This snake was at least three feet in diameter. She couldn’t tell how long it was but knew it had to be very long. Its head was up and level with a ten foot tall tree.

‘I bet it’s poisonous,’ Callista thought to herself. While she’d never seen or heard of such a snake, she was in the Labyrinth and the thing had glowing red eyes. She doubted it just wanted a pat on the head. Watching it she realized the snake seemed to match the color of the clouds. Realization quickly dawned on her. The snake and the clouds above were not normally there. ‘Someone’s trying to kill me.’ She blinked and then anger took hold of her. “Trying to stop me but trying to kill me is another! I’m going to kick someone’s ASS!” The snake suddenly lunged toward her and Callista took off running between some trees. ‘If I survive,’ she thought as she began fleeing from the snake.

*

Marissa was watching the Labyrinth when she saw something leave the clouds. “Aidan!” She screamed and leaving the balcony ran into the ball room. “Aidan you have to try and contact the Labyrinth again!”

“I already…”

“Try again! The clouds just released something!” The red haired woman said panicked.

“What?” Amara said. “What could it…”

“I think it’s a Levasculus.”

“A what?” Vardan inquired.

“It’s a cross between a Basilisk and a Leviathan. They’re deadly.”

“You’re telling me there is some deadly snake stalking her now?!” Lady Maureen said horrified. While she had never heard of a Levasculus before she knew what the other two creatures were.