Her Guards

Chapter 5

(Her Guards)

It was just before seven when Embry entered the dining room with Callista. He escorted her to the seat she’d sat in the first time she’d eaten with everyone and then taken the seat next to her.

This time when the servant asked if she’d eat Callista nodded. Although no one commented they were pleased the teenage girl had accepted the meal. As dinner continued Marianna felt even more foolish as Callista showed she had better table manners than most Fae nobles who practiced forms of etiquette every day.

“How’s your knee?” Marianna asked breaking a silence.

“It’s fine. Trust me I have had far worse,” Callista assured her. “Just try not to scream next time I freak you out please.”

“Planning to do it again?” Marianna asked.

“I don’t ever plan to scare someone with what I do. It just kinda happens,” Callista admitted. “First time Grams saw me fall off a skateboard I thought she was going to call an ambulance!” She giggled remembering and shrugged the memory off.

“Has Alana told you much about the ball?” Linna asked.

“No. I mean I get you guys want me to wear a dress and dance but that’s about it,” Callista replied. “But I get the feeling there are things I should know.”

“There will be dancing of course,” Marianna agreed. “You will be presented as the heir to the pixie throne upon your entrance. There will be a dinner and you will meet many other nobles. Yes dress and heels are required.”

“Dinner not an issue,” Callista said. “Meet and greet I can handle. The heels thing…” Callista bit her lip. “I can try. I mean I do have decent balance.”

“Unless someone screams,” Embry commented. Callista looked at him and smiled with a snicker. She swatted at him with her hand and he chuckled.

“I can help you learn to walk in heels,” Linna offered.

Callista looked at the Fae princess. This was the first time help was being offered and not forced at her. “Okay,” the teenager agreed. Linna smiled pleased. “Who wants to teach me to dance?”

“Whoever you want,” Queen Shaylene announced. “Although, I would suggest, using more than one person. It will teach you how to transition between dance partners.”

“She’s right,” Beven said. “I’d be happy to help you.”

Callista nodded and then glancing around the table she glanced at Embry. She couldn’t help but feel he was responsible for the sudden change in attitude from the family toward her.

“Since all of you are being so helpful, who wants to tell me why I now have four guards?” She asked. Silence filled the room. “That bad huh?” Looking at the Fae queen and king she said, “What’s going on?” She watched as the two fae exchanged glances.

“If you don’t want to be the ones to tell me you could give Embry permission,” Callista suggested. “He’s already had to tell me something I wouldn’t like today.”

“It’s an extra security measure,” King Abron told her. Seeing Callista look at him to continue he sighed and put his fork down. “There are some that would like to see war

Break out in this realm. As long as you live you keep the throne secure. If something happens to you...”

“Chaos,” Callista finished. She looked at Embry remembering his words.